Fraxel Re:Pair Vs. Re:Store for Scar on South Asian Skin

I have a small surgical scar on my face and I have had two differing opinions from two Fraxel experts, both with impeccable reputations and published studies. One doctor recommends a series of Re:stores due to my very social job and conservative nature and generally feels this laser is better for scars. The other doctor recommends one to two re:pairs to eradicate the problem, but says there could be redness for a month or two, but it will subside. I am confused- any helpful insight?

Laser Scar revision for ethnic skin

+1

Ethnic skin acne scar revision is one of the more challenging skin condition to treat. Seek out a board certified dermatologist who has treated few dozen cases of your skin type, if at all possible. If you are conservative and have a socially visible occupation, then Fraxel restore may be a fine option though you may not see significant difference even after many treatments and must be mentally prepared to adjust your expectation. If you are open to more aggressive approach and willing to put up with a week of down time, then in the right hands, you may get 25-45% improvement from each fractional co2 laser resurfacing such as Fraxel Repair, ActiveFx, or Mixto though there may be some risk of pigmentation.

Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel Restore or Repair for scar

+1

Different doctors may choose different treatments depending on the results they have personally seen. Many acne scar patients have seen great results wtih both treatments, but there is a slightly greater risk of scarring with the Fraxel Repair than the Fraxel Restore treatment. Both may cause temporary darkening and this should be discussed wtih your doctors.

Ronald Shelton, MD

I have had good luck using the restore for this purpose

+1

the fraxel restore has improved numerous small scars over the last 2 yrs with very little risk/downtime (essentially none). often just 2-3 brief treatments were needed. it is certainly worth giving a try.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel restore Vs. Fraxel repair for Scar Treatment on Asian Skin

+1

Hi big Blue,

There is no established answer to your question. Both Fraxel restore and repair can help improve the appearance of scars. Both of your doctors have informed you of the advantages/disadvantages of each laser. It is up to you to decide which treatment and post-treatment course fits you life style best. I would likely begin with the less aggressive Fraxel restore, saving the repair if you do not get your desired results with restore. There is less risk of PIH with restore.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD