Fraxel Repair or Pearl Laser for Aging Skin?

Which one is more effective for aging skin: Fraxel Repair or the Pearl laser treatment? I have olive skin; I tan easily; and I am 50 years old with moderate sun damage. I am considering my options.

Fraxel re:pair Versus Pearl Laser for Aging Skin

+1

Hi K,

Fraxel re:pair is a great option for a woman such as yourself who is in her early 50's and has moderate sun damaged skin. You will look years younger.

All patients are instructed to avoid excessive sun exposure, to use physical sun block, and to wear sun protective clothing after the treatment

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Fraxel Repair or a combination of lasers

+1

Hi KJ--The Fraxel repair wins this battle in most patients. All you have to do is look at before and afters of both devices and you will see the superior results of the Repair. That being said. I will often combine multiple lasers in one treatment to get the best results possible for my patients. I have treated many olive skin patients with the repair with no problems, but olive skin patients will always have a higher risk of temporary pigment issues after any laser treatment. Take care, Dr. Groff

William Groff, DO
San Diego Dermatologist

Good question

+1

While Fraxel Repair is the correct answer for fair skin patients, Pearl may have less risk of pigment changes and might be safer for darker skin. BUT I have not found the skin tightening to be nearly good enough with Pearl compared to Fraxel Repair and Deep FX- both fractional CO2 devices. Perhaps a good pre-treatment bleaching program before and after the Fraxel Repair would give the most dramatic results. I'd also suggest doing in the winter months when you'd get less sun.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist