Fraxel Re:pair? MixTo? DeepFX? or Palimar?

After consults & research I still seek the "right" ABLATIVE laser for severe eye/deep facial wrinkles w/extensive sun damage. Experienced & esteemed Board Cert. Docs in Denver abound but I ALSO want superior EQUIPMENT for highly effective and lasting results NOT just what's in the Docs office! Not ready for surgery at 54 and"less invasive"/"minimal down time" lasers have had little to no efficacy. Depth = 25%-70%? What is a reasonable cost? Which laser would you use on your spouse or child?

Fractionated Lasers - which are the best

+2

After researching and trying several lasers including most of the ones you mentioned for fractionated laser treatments we found that the Fraxel Re:Pair was the best. However of interest when reviewing long term results we saw little of no difference with the long term results of the Obagi Blue Peel intemediat depth which had a faster recovery time and is less expensive for our patients.

Multiple lasers for resurfacing is best

+2

If you have extensive wrinkling, using a combination of 3 to six different lasers in the same treatment session may be the best answer.  We have over 40 different lasers, so we are not limited in our choices.  We can tailor our treatments specifically for each patient's needs.  I have some great photos on my profile that demonstrate this. Take care, Dr. Groff

William Groff, DO
San Diego Dermatologist

Doing research for laser resurfacing of the eyelids

+1

Doing research is important but no one can make the best treatment plan for you on line. You have to be seen in consultation to evaluate what might be the best laser(s) or energy sources. Some wrinkles are present from sun damage or age and not underlying muscle movement, and some are caused by both. No matter how good the skin may look after laser resurfacing, if there is a muscular movement cause underneath the skin, the lines will come back to some extent. Not all muscular movement lines can be treated by Botox, Xeomin or Dysport as they can relax muscles that control important functions such as eating, smiling, being able to brush the teeth, speak, play a wind instrument, whistle, sing, etc.

Ablative CO2 Coherent, provided better wrinkle resolution in non contracting facial areas, but the down time and risks are greater than the fractional CO2, Fraxel Repair and fractional erbium Fraxel Restore and plasma portrait energy sources. Furthermore, some people have developed permanently whiter skin color in the areas of ablative therapy, even as delayed as much as one year from their treatment.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Best Laser Treatments

+1

Thank you for your question. For upper eyelid problems, if there is  loose skin, then CO2 has been very reliable.  If there is fat, and excessive skin, then get the surgery with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or (No Suggestions) if they feel you will benefit and are a good candidate. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist