Safe to Use Fraxel on African American or Dark Skin?

I am of mixed race and I am interested in getting fraxel treatments but I am worried about hyper or hypo pigmentation and splotchiness. I am pretty fair skinned (about the color of a cup of coffee with three creams). Are there any special questions that I should ask my doctor concerning the use of the re:pair laser on African-American skin?

Fraxel and Darker Skin

+1

We have yet to use the Fraxel Repair on truly dark skinned patients. You would run a much greater risk of pigmentary problems with the Repair as opposed to the Restore. We have used the Fraxel Restore without problems for several people. I would recommend that regardless of which laser is used you have a small test spot. I would also inquire as to if you should use a bleaching cream for a week or two before the procedure to prevent post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.

Danville Dermatologic Surgeon