Fraxel Re:Pair or EMatrix Sublative Resurfacing for Acne Scars?

Which method should I pursue for my acne scars treatement? My current Dr. uses eMatrix sublative resurfacing but was wondering if the the Fraxel re:pair is the better choice.

Acne Scar Treatments - Skin Type Affects Treatment Choice

+2

Fraxel has been the fractional laser choice for acne scars for a number of years - mostly because you can have treatments that cause little downtime.  The no to low downtime trade off is more frequent sessions and possibly giving up some potential response.

All lasers generate substantial surface heat and this heat not only increases collagen levels, but also can activate melanin cells. eMatrix is designed to bypass those melanin cells by utilizing radio frequency energy instead of laser.  Your skin color / type will have an influence on the type of treatment you should consider.

Fraxel poses little to no risk for blonde, blue eyed, light skinned patients. For those with mixed backgrounds who genetically have more melanin, Fraxel and other lasers can mean post inflammatory hyperpigmentation( You CAN treat the pigmentation both before and after laser, but with eMatrix, you'll have less risk for unwanted pigmentation.)

eMatrix uses radio frequency (not laser)  so most of the energy is dispersed under the the skin and it's not absorbed by the melanocytes. This provides a much greater protection from post treatment pigmentation for skins "with color".

Look at your family background to help you determine your risks. Asian, Latin American, Middle Eastern and Southern European skins frequently have pigmentation issues following laser -and even more so at energy levels that will affect acne scar profiles.

Los Angeles Dermatologist

Fraxel repair or eMatrix for the Treatment of Acne Scars

+2

Hi Ak,

I have heard of  (but not seen) great results with eMatrix (personally have not used), and have had the experience of treating many patients with Fraxel repair.  My personal belief is that Fraxel repair is the best current available treatment for acne scars.  Deep FX is also a very effective treatment.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

EMatrix is an Intriguing New Treatment for Acne Scars

+1

eMatrix is a new technology that may have an advantage over the more "traditional" Fraxel laser. Unlike fractional ablative laser treatments where most of the effect is in the superficial layers of the skin (epidermis), the eMatrix affects only 5% of the epidermis and most of the effect is in the deeper tissue (dermis). This is because the eMatrix applies the energy in a “pyramid” shape. Because of this, the healing is rapid and the downtime is minimal. Because radiofrequency is not light-based technology, the treatment is appropriate for all skin types. It is therefore an effective alternative for patients with darker skin who may be at risk for hyperpigmentation from laser treatments.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon