Is Fraxel re:pair different from fraxel laser?

• LorE
  • 6 years ago

I saw the today show about Fraxel re:pair treatment. Is this the same thing I read on realself about fraxel laser experiences?  thnks!

View 2 doctor answers to Fraxel Restore Vs. Fraxel Repair

Comments (326)

Sort by

while I love my dr, I am disappointed in the results I received fro Fraxel Re-Pair. I had it for acnes scaring on my chin only. The scarring now is at least as bad as it was. The procedure was done in Nov 2011 and initially ( after redness, swelling) I was delighted. I have had repeated treatment for skin mites and the scarring is really no better than before.
I would welcome any suggestions as to why this might be happening. I am post menopausal but use hormone drops...the dr. suggested that might be the cause of the mite issue until he found out about the drops. Please help.
  • Reply
I have had 2 fraxel repair done at a dermatologists office for acne scars and brown/red spots. There is only slight improvement, if any. There are no change in the brown/red spots. I have severe acne scars and have a brown complexion (indian-asian). I cannot tolerate seeing my self in the mirror. any suggestions ???
  • Reply
I am African and I had fraxel restore procedure on my arm for an 11 year old very ugly surgical and auto accident scar 7 days ago. I had the numbing cream for over 40 mins before the procedure, the pain was tolerable too and my skin was "roasting" for about 2 hours after the procedure. About 4 hours later, I could comfortably take a warm shower without feeling the heat on my arm. By the next day, the only reminder that I had had the fraxel restore was the innumerable tiny dots on my skin (they look like holes). The area is bronzing, I have a break out in both sides of my face(never had a break out before) and a section of the treated area was very itchy all day.
Since I am practically seeing no change presently (maybe I will in the next few days), Is there a way to tell if the settings were way too low and my skin type and I may be needing higher settings in my next treatment next month? I have seven more to go.
Please let me know.
Thanks
-annie
  • Reply
Hi Sophiap,

The cost of Fraxel repair varies depending upon the areas treated and the condition treated. Fraxel repair is an excellent treatment for acne scars. Multiple treatments are usually required for optimal results for acne scars. Our cost is around $3K for the first treatment, and about half that for subsequent treatments. Do choose your treating physician most carefully. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P
  • Reply
Can anyone tell me how much the fraxel repair costs? I want to make an appointment for this procedure and was also wondering how well it works for acne scars (rolling and pitted). Any info would be appreciated.
  • Reply

Save your money! Not worth the money! The procedure is very painful and I didn't see any improvement (certaily no improvement near the eyes). I had to stop the doctor several times because it hurt so badly. (I almost bent the arms of the chair I was sitting it and I tried to slip down in the chair.) I think I was the doctor's first patient, and I didn't have enough numbing medication: the redness and discomfort lasted for a long time. I wish I had spend my money at a plastic surgeon's office!

• Reply
Hi Doc. I had a beard to scalp hair transplant that left me with 2500 pin point ice pick scars that are genuine 1/25 inch cylinders, not the traditional ice cream cones all over my face where beard should be, except moustache. They're pretty tiny, they look more like enlarged pores, but I want to get rid of the pink center and had a V Beam to help the coloration a week ago. It's only been a couple weeks since the transplant procedure and a few days since the V beam, and the scars seem to get smaller every day--but it has been recommended I do a fraxel repair procedure to restore my skin to smoothness I enjoyed prior to this hair restoration procedure.

Since the scars are the size of large pores, really pinpoints, I wonder if some other less invasive procedure would suffice? I have heard of using acid to burn the top of the scar, so that healthy flesh forms around it, but those procedures are usually reserved for shallow, rather than deep scars.

On the other hand, the fraxel repair would have other side benefits, as even the V Beam seems to have tightened up my skin somewhat, and the Fraxel repair does have that "side effect".

My thinking is, wait until completely healed in a few weeks, take a relook at the scars to see just how minimal, and do a less invasive Fraxel repair, with nerve block and numbing cream, with all the goo's and oatmeal and vinegar water in large supply to survive the 7-10 day effort.

I am just using common sense, but, hey, these are relatively new procedures, my hair transplant itself quasi experimental, and I am open minded.

What do you think of waiting, and then opting for the acid related procedure, then Fraxel repair if necessary? I have 65 year old skin, and want to look a little more Tom Cruise and a bit less than Richard Boone.
  • Reply
Dear Dr Persky, i want to go for laser treatment but i hear there are different laser to do resurfacing work like the Fraxel, Active/Deep Fx Co2 and the Pirl laser. Is there any differents how do i make my choice in what is going to be better for me to get the best results?
  • Reply
Hi There,

I am new to this site.
I have had Fraxel Re store 5 or 6 times! and I love it!
I found it a little painful having the treatment, but the pain only lasts a few minutes and the results are worth it.

I had pigmentation around my cheeks and eyes and I had tried every cream, IPL etc and their didn't work at all a waste of time and money.
I heard about fraxel and decided to give it a go, I was a little red faced afterwards and I was swollen for a couple of days after so I stayed at home. (Looked like a pillow face)
I would say after my 3rd treatment with Fraxel 90 per cent of my pigmentation had gone, I had another 2 treatments and my pigmentation as gone completely! I also noticed my pores are very small now and I have an even skin tone and a healthy glow. Everyone comments on how good my skin is and how young I look and its part thanks to Fraxel I feel I have my skin back before I got pigmentation. I no longer tan my face now I use a high sunblock, sunglasses and a hat. Fake tan on face does the trick. Very happy with my results!
  • Reply
Hi Caroline, just out of curiosity: is your skin dry or oily? thanks
  • Reply
I was born with bilateral cleft lip and i have 3 scars at the upper lip area. Which is more appropriate to use, Fraxel repair or restore?
  • Reply
Hi Dr. Persky, I am a 54 year old woman considering a midface lift. I've already had my eyes and neck done about 10 years ago.I have noticed that the my eyes appear hollowed and my cheeks have sagged somewhat. I would like to know if the lifting I would like to see could be seen with the use of Fraxel repair as opposed to surgery. Thanks for your consideration of this question.
  • Reply
Hi, Can you please tell me which of the Fraxel treatment will help reduce my acne scars? Thanks
  • Reply
Awalk, I am so very sorry for what you have endured and continue to endure. I underwent Fraxel Repair in March 2010 with very distressing results. My condition is nowhere as extreme as yours and I do believe my surgeon was very conservative in his treatment approach. I had minimal burning, no significant oozing or bleeding at the time of the procedure. Actually, I was upset at the time because I thought the surgeon was not aggressive enough. I had spent $2350 on the treatment and wanted my money's worth. In hindsight, all I can say is thank God he wasn't more aggressive. I have always had perfectly flawless skin. It was my best feature. But I had developed some mild to moderate rosacea and was convinced by my surgeon that the Fraxel repair would eliminate it, Well not only did the Fraxel not eliminate the rosacea, it made it worse. The tracks on my face from the laser are still visible and I have developed what appear to be pores but actually I think they are just tiny holes caused by the laser. Before the treatment, my skin was smooth, shiny and glowing. I did not have a pore on my face. My face was so smooth in fact that makeup would often just sit on top of my face and almost slide off. Now my skin looks dull and when I put makeup on it just sinks into the pores making them all the more noticeable. I am not disfigured. No one would know anything was wrong if I was out in public but for someone known her entire life for her beautiful skin it is very disheartening. I am very upset about all of this and to realize that the damage may only get worse as time goes by is very disturbing. I plan to consult an attorney, I want to sue the makers of Fraxel for damages. I sure hope that you have! God bless!
  • Reply
How is it now?
  • Reply
I had the Fraxel Repair by a doctor in La Jolla about 3 months ago. I expected "face-lift" results because the cost was so high ($5,000). I have had photofacials, hair removal, you name it...I have done it all and for the most part been happy with all my procedures. I had the Active FX about one year ago and expected that the Fraxel would be way better because it was so much more expensive. I am not ready to go under the knife so I have been doing laser procedures hoping to put off a face lift or any other type of "cutting" procedure. Based on my personal experience, I would say that the Active FX treatment was a much better healing experience and result (especially for the price!!!). I don't know what Dr. P's relationship is with Reliant but I think if you are going to spend the money, get an Active FX because it is way less and I would say the same results and probably less swelling and pain.
  • Reply
Active FX is the surface fractional ablation and Repair is no ablation and columns, right? It depends what a person wants. Restore is fractional column ablation.
  • Reply
Hi Clare, didn't you mixed up the Fraxel types? Repair is column ablation and Restore is column w/ no ablation.
  • Reply
Hi, I was wanting to get the Fraxel laser for stretch marks..I have some silver marks on my stomach.. Would the Re:pair or Re:store be the best option for me? I would like to see results as fast as possible..and I don't mind going back each month for another treatment. Secondly, how much do you think an area like the stomach would cost per treatment, giving a rough estimate? Lastly, I heard they recommend anywhere from 4-6 treatments for stretch marks..After the 6th treatment, can a person keep coming back and continue to see improvement each time? Any response would be appreciated..Thanks in advance! :)
  • Reply
I am 66 yrs old, still very active, and certainly don't feel that old. So I decided to do something about it. I had crow's feet, some deeper wrinkles around my mouth area (perioral and smile lines, and was beginning to get some "creping" on my cheek area. This is my experiance with Fractional Repair: Numbing cream was applied and I was given a Demerol. I'm not going to say the procedure was not painful, but it was tolerable. I've had worse pain, and it didn't last that long. Went home loaded with Vasoline and a warning from my Dermatologist that I would have some oozing and bleeding. Propped myself up and decided to nap when I got home. When I woke up and looked in the mirror, I was horrified at what I saw, immediately panicked and called my doctor. He said it was normal, just blot it with a clean soft cloth and reapply vasoline. Day 2, looked some better. Dr. wanted to check me and said everything looked good for that time period, and to clean my face with nonmenthol shaving creamm and keep applying the vasoline. He also said I would be ready to wear makeup by Day 5. (I didn't believe that, but he was right). On Day 5, I was ready to start cleaning and moisturizing with Cetaphil. I did have some swelling that took 3-4 days to go away, and I still have some redness that covers up well with makeup. My skin looks smoother, the creping is gone, the crows' feet are gone and the perioral wrinkles look improved but not completely gone. I see my Doctor tomorrow (Day 7) to see what he thinks about my results. I am pleased so far, though I would like those perioral wrinkles gone completely. So far it was worth it
  • Reply
Hi Dr P, I am thinking about fraxel restore or repair depending on which one i will need. I only want it done around my mouth and the area next to my nose below my eyes on both sides. So not the whole face. My main problem is 2 acne scars(little pockmarks) as well as a deep line on my left side next to my mouth(inner cheek). Both the line and two scars connect with the line going through the scars. When i smile all three kind of dissapear in the form of an expression line but when relaxed the two scars and line are really visable. Also because its not the whole face or neck would the price be less?
  • Reply
Hi Dr. P, I would like to ask if the Fraxel repair will be ok for someone who is prone to kelloid scarring? I would like to have my periorbital wrinkles fixed, but chicken at the idea of being left with more damage than I came with to the doctor. Thanks for taking the time to answer all the questions, it is very nice of you.
  • Reply
I had Fraxel re-pair done yesterday morning. A cream was applied to my face 1 hour pre - procedure and then nerve block injections were injected into my face at numerous locations. The whole process was about an hour and a half, but the Laser treatment only took about 30 minutes. Very quick and not painful. Immediately following the Fraxel re-pair treatment I looked awful. I had to laugh at myself because the resemblance to Freddie Kruger was un-canney. However once I got home I was able to start the vinegar water soak regimn. After each soak my face got much better. I woke up this morning pleased that the small amounts of bleeding had stopped, and now this evening the clear liquid has stopped also. I have not had any swelling and really I look much better than I thought I would have after just 1 day. No pain at all either. My face just feels slightly warm and tight. I started using the Clinique Medical kit 1 week pre-procedure and have been using it post procedure as well. I'm not sure if this has helped with my speedy recovery but it was recommended to me by another woman and I have to say that I am happy so far. As far as the final out come we shall see. I had some minor acne scaring on my cheeks and some sun damage. I'm 30 years old, & hopefully this will turn back the clock about 5 years. I'm anxious to see the final results. I hope this helps others who might be considering Fraxel re-pair. The recovery has not been a big deal at all. I took 1 week off work but really probably only needed 3 or 4 days. My face looks red and discolored but other than that o.k. I'm even preparing a Thanksgiving meal!
  • Reply
Hi, are you happy with the results? I am planning to do a repair too. tx
  • Reply
Thanks for taking the time to share you insight on fraxel with us. I am thinking about getting this treatment done and have a few questions to ask. 1. I am 33 and wondering if this is too young to be getting Fraxel Repair done? 2. The past 2 years I have noticed some bad changes happen to my face which include: some fine lines starting to develop under my eyes, my upper eye lids are not as firm as they use to be 10yrs ago and kind of have a heavy look to them which makes me look tired. So would Fraxel Repair fix these problems? 3. About 10 months ago I had the Sciton Micro Laser Peel (40micr) but unfortunately I did not see any major improvements after the treatment. So I wanted to know long should I wait before it would be safe for me to have the Fraxel Repair treatment? 4. How often should one expect to repeat this treatment to maintain the results? I was reading on the net that some people maintain the results of the Fraxel Repair by having 1-2 Fraxel Restore treatment done per year. So what would you say is the best method to maintain the results besides the basics of good skin care and avoiding the sun? 5. Do you know any doctors in Toronto, ON that do Fraxel Repair treatments? I did a search for this and all I could find is doctors that do the Restore treatments only. Thanks!!!
  • Reply