Is Fraxel Repair the Right Procedure for Acne Scars?

If after the skin peels & you still see the scars does this mean it did not work? Or will new skin growth help diminish the look of the scars(I just peeled)? I will be discussing this with PC of course. But,curiosity got the better of me,and my next appt.is next week, so I wanted to get some opinions till then on how fraxel works with acne scaring. I understand it depends on the type of scarring & may only get an improvement.Should I expect more improv. of the scars over time with fraxel repair?

Fraxel For Acne Scars

+1
Fraxel is outstanding for fine wrinkles, mild skin laxity, irregular pigmentation, acne scars, surgical scars, enlarged pores, stretch marks, age spots and Rosacea. It can be used safely on the face, neck, hands, arms, and chest. You should definitely expect improvement of the scars over time with Fraxel repair. 

Fraxel Dual and Spectra Laser for Acne Scars

+1

The main objective for Fraxel Repair is to tighten the skin. Fraxel Repair works by creating numerous columns of light beams that vaporize the skin and shrink the overall surface area. 

Keep in mind that acne scar tissue is made of collagen as well. But the fibers are configured differently and this is what causes them to look and feel thicker than normal skin.

Fraxel Dual, however, is more ideally suited for treating acne scars. It is able to heat the skin layer beneath the surface. This process stimulates the formation of healthy new collagen fibers that gradually replace the acne scar tissue.

Please watch the enclosed video about a patient who had this treatment for her acne scars.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Combination treatment is needed

+1

Of course it depends on the type of acne scars being treated.  'However, in my hand the use of both Fraxel repair and restore as well as silicone injections works the best.  I like to do an average of 3-5 Fraxels which build up the collagen in the dermis and combine this with silicone injecitons.  The results are fantastic.

Monica Halem, MD