Acne Scars - How Long After Other Treatments Should I Wait to Get Fraxel Repair?

I had 1 subcision back in February and 2 dermaroller sessions in April & July. I also applied Retin A 0.025 every night.

Will my skin be ready for Fraxel Repair or should I wait longer until it has had more time to recover from these procedures? I have heard patients having complications such as hypopigmentation, hyperpigmentation & scarring because of their skin being too sensible after such treatments. Is there a risk?

As long as you stop the Retin A and/or any other...

+2

Dear SF,

As long as you stop the Retin A and/or any other irritating skin treatments for at least 10 to 14 days, you should be ready for Fraxel re:pair treatment. Of course, your treating physician must evaluate your skin carefully as there are exceptions, and everyone is a little different. You lose nothing by waiting. You know your own skin the best. If you feel that it is still too sensitive after stopping the Retin-A then wait until it feels ready. Be well.

Dr.; P

Stop RetinA

+1

After 6 weeks, your subcision and dermaroller sessions should not have any affect on your Fraxel Repair treatment. Consult with your physician but I recommend you do not use RetinA for at least two weeks before Fraxel Repair. There is a risk for hyperpigmentation and other skin conditions, but your physician should analyze your skin and figure out which settings and what the best treatment should be.

Web reference: http://www.finetouchdermatology.com/los-angeles-juvederm/

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel Repair

+1

Before any laser resurfacing procedure, you should be off retin-a for 10-14 days. However, each patient is different.  Prior to setting a treatment date, please share with your physician of any medications, including Retin A that you are currently taking.

Pigmentation issues subsequent to a laser procedure is possible if you are out in the sun after the procedure. Please advise your physician of any planned trips that will require significant sun exposure.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.