Is Fraxel Refine Effective for Crow's Feet?

I am 24 considering Fraxel Re:fine for crow's feet. I had BOTOX when I was 22 and was not happy with the result. I have done research on Fraxel, unfortunately there is not THAT much to find & the posts people make do not specify WHICH Fraxel treatment they got.

I'm thinking that if I get 1 treatment of Re:fine it will improve my crows feet & PREVENT them from forming as quickly. I'm worried about the risk of my face getting WORSE than before in any way: Hyperpigmentation/bumps/brown spots/scars etc.

Please advise if there are any reasons why people DO get these side effects OR other options I may have.

Fraxel for Crow's Feet?

+1

The other Fraxel lasers, such as, Restore and Repair would be better suited for crow's feet.
However, your best option would be to treat the underlying muscle with some Botox. That will smooth out any existing wrinkles that you have as well as be preventative against getting deeper crows feet in the future. At your age, if there still is some fine lines lingering after your Botox session it could easily be treated by seeing an Aesthetician for a chemical peel and/or an at home regimen of pharmaceutical products.

"Dr.D"

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel improves skin quality

+1

Fraxel improves skin quality but that isn't your problem.  Your wrinkles are from the muscle bunching up the overlying skin and at your age, they probably completely smooth when you stop smiling.  Botox will stop the muscle from working and can definitely reduce or eliminate the crows feet. 

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Botox or Dysport for crows feet

+1

Botox or Dysport are the best treatments for crows feet. A laser treatment wil not get rid of the creases which are caused by the hyperactivity of the obicularis oculi muscles or crows feet.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Is Fraxel Refine effective for crow's feet? No

+1

Hi Sporty,

Fraxel refine won't be effective on Crow's feet, not even on Seagull feet. Save your money, one treatment of refine won't do anything for your wrinkles.

Best treatment would be Dysport or Botox to weaken the muscles that are causing your wrinkles, and then having Fraxel repair. Dysport or Botox alone will give you very good results.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Crow's Feet - Fraxel plus Botox

+1

I have used both the Fraxel re:Store and the re:pair for the periorbital region with excellent results.  But you will get more prolonged effect if you add Botox to the treatment regimen and maintenance.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel for crow's feet

+1

The Fraxel RE:fine is not effective enough, nor the Fraxel RE:store, to minimize facial lines that are related to underlying muscle contraction. These mimetic lines, as they are called, are best treated with Botulinum toxin. There are many different ways that doctors inject the Botox in this location and you might get a better result with a different technique than that which was used in the past. The Fraxel may improve the texture of the skin, but will not change your creases (crow's feet).

Ronald Shelton, MD

Refine is not aggressive enough.

+1

I am very surprised that you were unhappy with Botox and wonder if you should find a different doctor. Your crow's feet are from the obicularis oculi muscle hyperactivity. Only a neuromodulator will help this. Perhaps you should consider Dysport. In any case, the laser I'd use here is the Lumenis Active F/X, but I'd pre-treat with Botox or Dysport first.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Fraxel WITH Botox or Dysport is ideal for crows feet

+1

Many patients with crows feet have a combination of causes. First , muscle contraction, active lines, which respond very well to small doses of Dysport or Botox.In addition, the passive lines which never seem to go away even when we are not smiling require some form of skin tightening and the Fraxel dual is ideal for this.

Thus a combination of muscle relaxant for Active lines and laser skin tightening for Passive lines is very effective. If you are thinking of only one thing, then Dysport or Botox should be your first choice.

J. Timothy Heffernan, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Treatment of crow's feet

+1

The reason you make crow's feet is excessive muscular activity from the ring of muscle around your eye that closes it. Treating the skin surface with a laser will only have a very temporary benefit at best and the wrinkles will come right back after the muscle continues to work. The best treatment is Botox and maybe you just need to go to a different doctor to get it done.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS