Fraxel, a Mini Lift OR Both?

Hi, I just turned 49 and decide I want to have Fraxel done on my face. I have a lot of fine lines on my cheeks which are my main concern. I also have freckles and redness as well as some sagging. I thought it would be wise to do fraxel before having a mini lift to see if I get enough improvement to put off a mini lift for a year or so. But now I’m thinking it might make more sense to have a mini lift first.

Fraxel laser versus Facelift

+1
In reviewing your photograph you would be an excellent candidate for a facelift. The facelift will address the laxity of the skin of your face and neck while Fraxel will simply help with fine lines and discoloration. I typically perform the surgeries needed first and then a laser treatment is the icing on the cake so to say!

Fraxel helps the skin discolorations, lifting helps sagging

+1

Thank you for your question. Fractional laser therapies (Matrix, Fraxel, etc) will primarily help your skin's tone, improve discolorations, tighten pores. Fractional will not address loose, sagging skin. For that, you will need a face lift or a modified version of the facelift, like the mini-lift. 

Peter Schmid, DO
Longmont Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face lift or Fraxel

+1

You are asking an excellent question. The Fraxel will help improve the discoloration and fine lines but not the sagging jowls, nor neck. The lift will not help address the surface features mentioned above. There is no doubt that a lift for the face and neck will give you more "bang for the buck" immediately and then you can start the series of Fraxel rejuvenations for the skin surface. It often becomes a decision based on budget.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Fraxel repair, Mini-Facelift, or Both?

+1

Hi Eng,

The order of your procedures, mini-facelift and Fraxel repair laser, doesn't really matter, although I have treated a few patients with two Fraxel repair treatments over a year period who subsequently had enough improvement in their face and neck that they no longer desired surgical facelift.  Best to decide what bothers you the most and have that treated first.  Most importantly, choose your treating surgeon most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

You need both

+1

Fraxel will help the skin tone and face lift will reposition the facial tissue. You also have neck muscle sagging which will require neck muscle lift. You can start Fraxel and get your face lift in between Fraxel treatments.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel or facelift?

+1

Fraxel and a facelift are two completely different procedures that treat completely separate parts of your anatomy.  Fraxel will help the SURFACE of the skin: diminishing fine lines and fine wrinkles, reducing sun spots.  It may stimulate collagen and give you some tiny element of "skin tightening", but don't count on that to come even close to any facelift.

A facelift, of course, gets rid of loose skin and lifts and tightens the contours of the lower face and neck. 

To answer your question about what to do first, I would say to first treat what bothers you the most. If it's the surface of your skin (color, fine lines) that bothers you most, then do Fraxel first.  If it's loose skin along the jawline and in the neck, then have the facelift done first. 

Carmen Kavali, MD