Fraxel for Ethnic Skin Treatments

Hi my question is which of these Fraxel is best for dark skin "mexican" in treating pigmentation, wrinkles and will Fraxel thighten the skin
I'm asking because I know that dark of asian skin are sensitive to any treatments. Thank You

Fraxel can be used on ethnic skin but risk of hyper/hypo pigmentation is greater

+1

Fraxel can be used on ethnic skin. There is, however, greater risk hyper/hypo pigmentation. It is important to follow pre and post treatment skin care guidelines, such as avoiding the sun and using gentle cleansers. Sometimes, the use of a fading cream before the treatments.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Darker skin, ethnic skin, fraxel, tightening

+1

In general, darker skin (types IV-VI) have a greater risk hyper/hypo pigmentation from laser treatments. An experienced laser specialist will be able to determine and select the settings that ultimately lower the risks associated with the treatment. In our practice, where we have large Asian, Hispanic and African American population, we have successfully treated many cases using the Fraxel restore laser. This laser does not tighten very much but it is the safer choice of lasers (Fraxel)

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel in darker skin types

+1

Fraxel can be safely done in people with darker skin types.  I would recommend the Fraxel restore over the repair, because there is less of a risk of discoloration with the restore.  You will also need to be very careful to avoid the sun before and after your treatment, and your doctor will have you use certain creams to minimize your risk of discoloration.  The restore does not tighten the skin, however.  The repair can cause some skin tightening, but both are mainly skin smoothing/resurfacing treatments.

Jordana S. Gilman, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel can be done on ethnic skin

+1

It is important to be on a strict pre and post treatment skin care protocol, but in general, Fraxel can indeed be done on ethnic skin. The dermatologist will adjust your settings appropriately and of course insist on sun avoidance, but the general answer to your question is yes you can be treated.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist