Fraxel Laser (Which Type)? Thermage Or a 'Feather-lift'?

I'm 37 years old - in great shape, and overall, I have very good skin, both texture and tone, and no wrinkles, however, I'm noticing some jowling on my jaw-line that is really bothering me. I want to get the tight jaw-line back that I had in my twenties. I'm considering all 3 of the above possibilities. I know I'm young for a surgical lift, but, I'll consider that route if it's my best option. How much can Fraxel or Thermage really do for tightening of the jaw-line?

Thermage for a tightening the jowls

+2

We have had excellent results for tightening the jowl area on patients just like you!  Thermage is ideal for patients who are not yet surgical candidates and don't want to be any time soon.  Skin tightening and collagen stimulation are the key things in the treatment. Many of our younger patients complain of skin laxity (more the feeling than the actual appearance of loose skin) in their lower faces...especially when doing things like exercise or bending over to tie their shoes...as if their entire face is falling forward.  Thermage is a great option for this and gives a subtle, gradual, realistic (not overly stretched or pulled) result that patients really enjoy.

Dr. Grant Stevens         

Facial Rejuvenation for early aging: Fraxel, Accent, Thermage, Radiesse, Sculptra

+2

I am a dermatologist and 41 years old.  Personally, I have had Thermage to help combat the same issue.  It is a great treatment to help be proactive and keep our collagen firm, thus minimizing the jowls.  Accent is similar to Thermage but requires more treatment though less painful, cost is the same.  Radiesse and Sculptra are both great fillers to help restore any volume in the cheeks so the jowls improve as well as filling in around the jowls if needed.  If you have our usual Texas sun spots, you might consider 1-2 treatments with Fraxel Restore.

Good luck!  We'd be happy to treat you if you are up for a road trip to the DFW area.  We are 5 minutes from DFW airport.

Angela Bowers, MD
Southlake Dermatologic Surgeon

Young with some jowl formation, Thermage or lift

+1

At your young age it would be worthwhile to consider Thermage to reduce your slight sagging of the cheek which can result in a jowl formation. The amount of risk you take with Fraxel Repair to get dermal tightening may not be worth it. Unfortunately, there is no prediction of how much Thermage may tighten your jawline. Consult with an experienced physician who will tell you if you are a candidate for Thermage or if you should consider, despite your young age, a lift.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Facial Rejuvenation of Early Signs of Aging: Fraxel, Sculptra, Ulthera, Thermage

+1

Hi Austin,

Fraxel and Thermage are only tools that a skilled physician has at their disposal to use if indicated to help their patient attain their cosmetic goal.  Whether they are the correct tool for you can only be determined after a consultation and examination.  It sounds as if you are an ideal candidate for the treatment.  There is a new technology, Ulthera, that uses ultrasound energy to tighten early signs of aging in the face.  Sculptra can be used to add volume back to your face that you have lost over the years.  Most importantly, choose your treating physician most carefully.  Stay away from the feather lift!

Good luck and be well.  See web reference below.

Dr. p

Michael A. Persky, MD