Is Sun Damage After Fraxel Laser Permanent?

My face darkened from non-sunscreen use for 3 months after Fraxel treatment. Is this permanent, and would lightening creams help?

Hyperpigmentation after Fraxel

+1

I would have to know whether your whole face is evenly darkened or if you have patchy darkness to answer your question. Even darkness is just natural tanning and has nothing to do with Fraxel, but rather a lack of sun-screen use and/or over-exposure to the sun.

Patchy darkening is post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation and is a result of the inflammation (which is good) caused by the laser and sun exposure with lack of protection.

Lightening creams will likely speed the resolution, but paradoxically Fraxel laser or light chemical peels can also aide assuming that you limit your sun exposure.

Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel and Non-Compliant Use of Sun Block With Resulting Hyperpigmentation (Dark Skin)

+1

Hi lo,
The hyperpigmentation or darkening of your skin from not following the directions of avoiding sun exposure and not using adequate sun block will fade as you practice better skin care. Avoid the sun; wear physical sun block, and protective clothing (wide brimmed hats).

Ironically, Fraxel is one of the best treatments for persistent darkening as long as you follow sun precautions. Lastly, there are very good skin peel treatments such as Cosmolan and Melanange. Lightening creams should help.

Good luck and be well. See you at the beach (just kidding).

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD