How Do Doctors Determine the Settings for Fraxel Laser?

I am considering Fraxel re:store, so I've done some research, but I have not come across anything that talks about how a doctor determines what setting each patient needs (for example, I've read 50mj/10 depth/8 passes, which seems too harsh to me). I am a healthy 50-year old with light skin who can tolerate the sun without burning. I do not bruise easily and injuries usually heal quickly. What would my ideal setting be? Thank you for your time.

The previous Fraxel setting answers are very good

+1

The answers already posted are very good. I would just point out that most of my patients elect the Restore machine because of the limited downtime. The trade-off for the limited downtime is multiple treatments.

Discuss with your doctor what your goals are for the treatment, and he/she will be able to choose the appropriate settings and machine for you.

Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

It depends on problem being treated as well as skin type

+1

The settings for Fraxel can vary greatly. Higher settings are used for acne scars, the lowest for melasma. Treatment level refers to coverage area. It is important to discuss your concerns and allow your physician to explain the process. Good luck.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Fraxel re:store Laser Settings, While You Are At It, Why Not Fraxel re:pair?

+1

Hi Spanish,

The settings for Fraxel re:store are dependent upon the condition that is being treated. Also since multiple treatment sessions are required, one can start conservatively and then bump up the settings depending on the clinical response of the individual patient.

If you are treating skin color conditions then a more superficial treatment (lower energy) can be used. If you wish to maximize the effect on fine to moderate wrinkles and/or scars then higher energies and deeper treatments are necessary.

50mj/ level 10 is maximum treatment for deep lines and scars. If you and/or your physician want "Wow!" results, then you may want to consider Fraxel re:pair. In a single treatment you will look years younger when performed properly. Fractionated CO2 laser treatments are the skin rejuvenation treatment of the future (and today), see the April Vogue issue, page 146.

If you stick with multiple re:store treatments then 15-20 mj and level 8-9 (23-26%) would be a good starting point.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD