Fraxel Laser Vs Sciton Laser for Acne Scars?

I've had 6 treatments of Fraxel Re:store in the past year. After the treatments, I have noticed a slight impovement of my acne scars, but I'm looking for a smoother appearance. Will Sciton Laser be better for improving the acne scars?

Ablative fractionated laser treatments may improve your current results.

+2

Fraxel introduced the concept of fractional laser treatment some 3 years ago. The concept has now been integrated with ablative therapy Sciton erbium (called profractional and profractional XC.) and the Lumenis ultrapulse DeepFX and ActiveFX. The Cutera pearl is also a fractional ablative laser similar to the sciton. Ablative fractional laser treatements may benefit you and the major advantage is that significant improvements can be seen with a single treatement.

Youngstown Facial Plastic Surgeon

Solta's Fraxel laser or Sciton's Profractional for Acne Scarring

+1

Hi Tal,

Patients who have had previous treatments with Fraxel re:store respond very well to fractional carbon dioxide lasers. I have treated many patients with both re:store for acne scars, and now for the past year with Fraxel re:pair with excellent results. I have not used Sciton's Profractional, but Fraxel re:pair definitely smoothes acne scarred skin. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Each laser has risks and benefits

+1

Both of these lasers are fractional lasers, meaning that they treat a fraction of the skin at a time. They treat microscopic colums of skin, leaving normal skin between each column. The difference between the two is the type of laser. Each laser has risks and benefits that you must discuss with your doctor in deciding which is best for you.

The Fraxel re:store is a non-ablative laser. This means that it does not destroy the tissue in each column, but exerts its effects through heating the tissue. This laser has only a couple of days of downtime for most patients. You will see results, but they are more subtle and require more treatments.

The Sciton ProFractional is an ablative laser. The skin in each microscopic column is actually destroyed and removed by the laser. After one treatment with this device you will have 1-2 weeks of downtime, but you will see more noticeable results.

Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon