Fraxel Laser for Mole Removal Scar ?

I have a mole on my cheek about 3.3 mm in diameter and maybe raised 1-2mm(?) -- quite flat, anyway. I want to get it surgically removed and have spoken to a plastic surgeon about it and know there will be some scarring. I plan to have Fraxel Laser and would like to know how long after the removal would I have to wait to have it, and if it will actually do anything for the scarring. Thanks!

Fraxel for Mole Removal Scar

+1

The Fraxel can help to reduce the appearance of surgical scars.  The results are quite variable from patient to patient.  I would recommend waiting 2 to 3 months before considered a treatment to allow the scar time to strengthen.  It takes one year for a scar to fully mature, and any treatments prior to this may be premature.  Other lasers such as the Vbeam can reduce the redness of new scars as well.  Best of luck.  

Frisco Dermatologist

Fraxel post mole removal

+1

Make sure the mole is benign and completely removed before you start to Fraxel the scar. Some doctors wait two months after surgery before resurfacing in general, but with Fraxel some doctors treat one week after surgery, right after the stitches come out, but I haven’t seen any studies examinig this.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Fraxel Laser for Mole Removal Scar

+1

Hi Cub,

You may start Fraxel restore treatments on your fresh scar about 10 to 14 days after your mole removal.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD