Can I Do Fraxel Laser Resurfacing? I Have a Tendency for Keloids.

I have acne scars on my face and would like to get rid of them. I have a keloid on my chest though. So I was wondering whether or not I am a candidate for fraxel. ThankYou

Fraxel laser can be used in people with Keloids

+2

The Fraxel Restore 1550 laser can probably be used in patients with keloids. However, the dermatologist must be very careful using lighter settings and performing a test site in the area. It would also depend on the history of your formation of the keloid. Other precautions can be taken including pretreating the area with various creams and intralesional triamcinolone acetone to calm down the keloid. The Fraxel is an excellent choice for treatment of your acne scars. Fractionated Co2 - like the Pixel is a more aggressive treatment with faster and usually better results but with more downtime. It would probably be too risky given your history of keloids- although I have used it carefully in this exact situation.the smooth beam laser is also helpful for acne scars without any downtime. Good luck.!

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel and scarring potential

+2

There are 3 devices that are manufactured from Solta-Fraxel. The specific type and wave length are important to determine one's potential for scarring. If burns occurs, the likelihood of a scar is higher. The location of the burn can also influenece scarring, such as along the jawline. The overall risk of keloidal formation is unlikely with the erbium system versus the carbon dioxide system.

Cheryl M. Burgess, MD
Washington Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel Laser and Keloids

+2

Keloids from Fraxel Laser treatments on the face would be extremely rare.  Please be sure your practitioner is aware of your tendency to keloid formation though.  

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist