Does Fraxel Laser Reduce the Skin's Ability to Produce Moisture?

I'm considering Fraxel restore laser but have some questions regarding the long term effects of the procedure. My questions is does Fraxel destroy the glands or cells or pores (not sure which is the correct term) that produce moisture in the skin leading to premature aging? Thanks.

We have not seen this side effect

We have had extensive experience with Fraxel restore and Fraxel Dual. We have not seen the side effect of long term skin drying that you ask about.

Remeber, thoug, using sunscreens is essential after fraxel and many of these products do contain a moisturizer.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fraxel and Skin Moisture

Initially skin requires alot of moisture after Fraxel laser.  I have not experienced any long term reports from any of my patients over the past 8 years of dry skin.  Aging may continue, but it will not be accelerated due to Fraxel.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel Restore does not interfere with glands

The Fraxel Restore has not been reported to damage the oil glands or sweat glands, so it should not interfere with your normal barrier function. In fact, rather than damaging your skin's ability to look young, it helps photorejuvenate your skin's texture.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel helps improve the texture of the skin and reverses premature aging

Fraxel laser does not penetrate that deep causing destruction to the glands.  You may get temporary skin shedding for a few days after the procedure.  You will see fine peeling for several days after the Fraxel and we prescribe moisturizers for that purpose.  However, the dryness is only temporary.  Ultimately, you are left with younger, more beautiful skin.  Fraxel will get rid of many of the signs of premature aging.