Is Fraxel the Best Laser for Red Marks Left by Acne?

I've got a ton of red marks on my face from my Accutane experience. I am thinking of getting some laser treatment done when I hit the 6 month mark. The dermatologist I went to recomennded Fraxel Laser. What are your thoughts, as the my major problem is red marks and I only really have 1 or 2 minor acne scars?

There could be a less expensive option

+2

A 25% TCA peel or a series of salicylic acid peels would cost hundreds less and may do the trick. The norm is to wait 12 months post-Accutane before any type of resurfacing to prevent complications from delayed healing. Fraxel Restore is an option as is IPL, which is particularly good for redness.

New Orleans Dermatologist

Fraxel laser versus IPL for red marks

+1

Red marks are best treated with intense pulsed light or a pulsed dye laser.  Both of these treatments will stimulate a little bit of collagen which would also help your scars.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

The best laser for red spots is a vascular laser such as V beam

+1

I recommend for my patients with erythema or redness after  acne to have V beam treatments.   Fraxel is better for the broad based scars and I recommend it for that.

Good luck

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Pulsed dye laser for red marks

+1

I think you would most likely be a good candidate for pulsed dye laser (Vbeam laser) treatment to reduce the red scars. I perform this treatment all the time for red acne scars and it helps to reduce the redness, fill in the scars by stimulating collagen growth, and is typically far less expensive than Fraxel laser. If you do undergo a resurfacing procedure, inquire about simultaneous pulsed dye laser treatment- this works really well and can often make a big difference. In my opinion the Vbeam or similar pulsed dye laser works better for redness than most IPL devices. Good luck

Jason R. Lupton, MD
San Diego Dermatologist