Fraxel Laser for Melasma on Hispanic Skin?

I am hispanic with olive skin and 35 years old. I am not on hormones and I started to get melasma about 1 1/2 year ago.

Fraxel for the treatment of melasma

+1

Fraxel has helped some latin american patients lighten the skin with melasma while others see worsening. I recommend a test spot to be done in one small area, done a few times, a few weeks apart to see if there is a hyperpigmentation reaction (darkening) before performing the full treatment.

Fraxel improves melasma, but not permanently

+1

Fraxel laser, like many other treatments for melasma, does work to improve the discoloration. However, all treatments for melasma are temporary. The pigment can return over time and can become worse with sun exposure. It is important to talk to your doctor about the other available treatments such as topical creams and chemical peels to find out which may be best suited for you. In addition, good sun protection is crucial for good results with any melasma treatment.

Tomi L. Wall, MD
Oakland Dermatologist

Fraxel Laser for Melasma

+1

Hi No,

Although there have been some patients who have responded well to Fraxel laser treatments, we have found that the long term results of Fraxel restore on melasma patients have been disappointing.

At this point we are treating our Hispanic patients who suffer from melasma with Cosmolan peels followed by a mild bleaching solution regimen.

Melasma results are dependent on avoidance of sun exposure.

Good luck and be well. Have a nice Labor Day Weekend.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD