Is Fraxel Laser Effective for Melasma?

I am considering having Fraxel Laser done to remove my melasma. Has anyone had it done and seen positive results. I would be very grateful for some adive on this topic.

Thanks
Elly

It is an option

+1

Fraxel Restore is definitely effective, as are some peels, but the recurence rate for melasma, no matter the treatment, can be high. A good pre- and post-treatment protocol is essential. Sunscreens, vitamin C daytime and retinoids and hydroquinone nightly are essential. Sun avoidance, hats are all part of the protocol.

New Orleans Dermatologist

Fraxel for Melasma

+1

Hi Elly J, Fraxel re:store is FDA approved for the treatment of melasma. Many of us who have used this non-ablative laser technology since it's inception about 4 years ago are now using peels (Cosmolan,Melanage`) as a first treatment of choice. About 75% of patients with melasma respond well to Fraxel re:store, but with sun exposure there is a very high recurrence rate. One has to religiously avoid sun exposure with melasma. We are now treating lower percentages of skin each treatment, very superficially, more times (up to 10 treatments every 3 to 4 weeks). Good luck and be well. Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD