Fraxel Laser to Fix Hypertrophic Scarring from Acne?

I have some hypertrophic scarring from acne on my upper back and my doctor injected them with kenalog and it flattened them out. I am still unhappy with the texture and there is still some discoloration.

My doctor recommended Fraxel, will it work to help out with the textural problems?

Fraxel may help

+2

It may help, but it won’t create the skin you had before the scarring occurred. The atrophic or thin skin may develop more collagen in the dermis as a response to the Fraxel but your scar may remain thin and white. I would approach this as I do with mature stretch marks. Do a test spot several times on the same scar, not all the scars. If there is improvement that you’re happy with, you can treat more of them at one treatment. Many doctors are not interested in just treating a small area multiple times. See if your doctor would consider this and what the fee would be.

Fraxel can improve hypertrophic scars

+2

Fraxel laser can be used to improve hypertrophic scars, however multiple treatments will be necessary.

We often combine Pulsed Dye laser and Fraxel on the same session and we get faster results.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel Laser can fix hypertrophic acne scarring

+2

Fraxel is a great tool to smooth out scars and improve coloration. It is very useful to smooth out scars from acne. If these are hypertrophic scars from acne, then it is very likely that you will have a moderate improvement after a series of Re:store treatments. Good luck!

Sirish Maddali, MD