Is Fraxel Laser Recommended for Asian Skin with Hyperpigmentation?

Test spots are a good idea

+1

Some patients with this skin type do very nicely, whereas others may develop more hyperpigmentation. Doing several skin tests with the Fraxel is always a good idea with this skin type.

Is Fraxel safe for an Asian with hyperpigmentation?

+1

Yes, Fraxel ReStore is safe for treating hyperpigmentation in Asian skin. The best way to treat it is to use a combination of hydroquinone and Fraxel for optimal results. If the settings are kept low and the treatment done by a professional, then the result can be impressive. Good luck. 

Sirish Maddali, MD

It is an option

+1

First, I am assuming you are referring to Fraxel Restore. Restore, with low energy settings is safely used on Asian skin. There are other safe options as well, including some peels and certain conservative IPL setting with longer pulse-widths.

Depending on the reason for the pigment (post-inflammatory?, melasma?) time will determine if any treatment gives permanent results. I'd definitely talk to your dermatologist about a maintenaince program to prevent recurrence after successful treatment. Good Luck.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist