Fraxel Laser and Active FX for Olive Skin?

I am doing loads of research and getting more and more confused about lasers such as Fraxel and ActiveFX. I have olive skin and want fix sun damage, pigment and sagging especially the area between nose & mouth. But I don't want to sit at home for 2 weeks watching my skin burn off and scaring everyone.

Please some advice. Every DR I have seen has a different answer. thanks

Fraxel re:pair and Active FX for Olive Skin

+2

Hi Hailey,

So you want your cake and eat it too? I agree that the more research you do the more confusing things become. It is even confusing for many cosmetic physicians.

If performed properly there should be no "skin burning off" while you are sitting around your house. As far as scaring everyone, that depends on the crowd that you hang out with.

I advise patients to take at least 6 to 7 days in the house with the curtains and blinds drawn (so to not scare the wits out of any small children or animals who might pass by...just kidding). It is a time to catch up on DVDs, and books.

When properly prepared for what to expect after the treatment, both patients, friends, and family are able to make it through those first few days. Then again, you may decide that it's just not your cup of tea.

Both Deep FX and Fraxel re:pair are excellent treatments to "fix sun damage, pigment, sagging skin, and the area between the nose and mouth", affectionately termed "Bar Code" lines. The treatment takes years off of your appearance, yet you look natural, rested, and healthy.

Skin types I to IV respond very well to the treatment. After your treatment you will need to use physical sun block, wear protective clothing (scary hats), and avoid excess sun exposure.

I am linking the BBC's Kate Spicer's treatment segment from her documentary "SuperBotoxMe" that aired in the UK last August. If you go to my web site you can view a daily video diary of Los Angeles television reporter Marta Waller. You will see her daily progress and have a much better idea of what to expect.

If you do decide to be treated, choose your physician most carefully, as "It's not the tool, but the craftsman" that will give you your optimal results.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Olive complections can develop hyperpigmentation

+1

You will get many different answers from physicians answering your question without seeing your condition in person. As a generalization, your olive complexion may develop hyperpigmentation after any treatment but you will have to be careful with Fraxel Re:pair. Fraxel Re:store has been used to lighten darkening reactions to other lasers, and a general condition called melasma. Sagging may not be effectively treated by any laser. A Thermage tightening radiofrequency device may help a little, but again you would have to be seen in person for a more accurate plan to be developed.

Ronald Shelton, MD