In Regards to Fraxel: Are Free Consultations Always Brief and Not Very Thorough?

I'm a 21 year old white male with acne scars. I went to a reputable Dr., he performs restore and repair.Dr. answered any direct question, but never "volunteered" to go over pre-op/post-op care. I asked what results I could expect and he said "I think Fraxel advertises about 60% improvement." The advice was short, uninformative and most importantly not personalized. The consultation was 10 minutes long. Is this what I can expect from most practices? Could my age have played a factor?

Consultations for Fraxel

+1

Any cosmetic consultation should be thorough enough that if you decide on having the procedure, you feel you made an informed decision.  You should also know your risks and alternatives.  You should learn pre and postoperative instructions near the time of booking the surgery but you need some of this information to understand your convalescence in order to schedule correctly so that you have time to take care of yourself.

Quality of information more important than quantity

+1

In the course of a cosmetic consultation, expections about the procedure, its risks and benefits, and pre and post op care should be discussed as well as realistic expected outcomes.  With respect to acne scarring, results with Fraxel are uniformly good to excellent and predictable with little down time for erbium based Fraxel, but for CO2 Fraxel, down time is much more significant and recovery more dramatic.  In exchange for a more aggressive approach, improvement is accomplished with fewer procedures.

The length of the consultation should be individualized.  It could be as short as 5 minutes or as long as 30 minutes, depending on the needs of each patient. A 10 minute consultation may be appropriate for many patients, but others may need 20 minutes. The quality of the information is much more important than the quanitity.  The consultation should give you enough information, answer your questions, and give you alternative options so that you can make an informed decision about treatment.

Patrick McElgunn, MD
Charlotte Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel Consultation

+1

In my practice, I feel it's important to take time to thoroughly go over a procedure, pre-op and post-op care with the patient and answer all of his or her questions so that everyone is one the same page. Oftentimes, my nurses are able to handle some aspects of this as well (such as pre and post-op care). Clear communication between you and your surgeon is the best way to ensure that you get the best results possible. So if you do not feel you got that from the doctor you met with, I would highly suggest you meet with a a few other doctors (as a plastic surgeon, I will always recommend you meet with a board certified plastic surgeon). Ultimately, a level of trust and understanding between patient and doctor is best.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon