Fraxel dual for sun spots, dark skin? (photo)

I am of south asian origin. I have several dark sun spots on my cheeks. I have done fraxel treatements in the past for acne scarring but these are more recent. I was told Fraxel wouldn't help with these sun spots. Is Fraxel dual a good option? The picture is with makeup. They are more visible without.

Fraxel is great for Sun Spots

+1
Fraxel is a great laser for sun spots and pigmentation.  The 1927 wavelength was uniquely designed to treat sun damage.  Since you are wearing make up your specific sun spots are not that clear.  Fraxel can take one to three treatments scheduled a month apart if you have significant pigmentation.  As always find an experienced board certified dermatologist for the best cosmetic result.

Fraxel Dual for Pigment

+1

Fraxel Dual ( wavelength 1927 nm) is a reasonable approach to help improve your spots without causing generalized post treatment increase in pigment ( post inflammatory hyperpigmentation).  However, the treatment needs to be done with low densities and you may need to do more than one treatment session to achieve maximal improvement - that still may not be 100%.  Using IPL or  Q switched lasers on your skin would increase the risk of post treatment pigment.   Remember, you still should use a lightening cream with or without a topical retinoid and a sunscreen.

Jason K. Rivers, MD
Vancouver Dermatologic Surgeon