Fraxel Dual 1927 Vs 1550?

I've done the Fraxel Dual twice with 1927 setting. Im happy with the results. And Im also now experienced with the recovery involved. However, now I'm about to start a series of two treatments with the 1550 setting. I know that the wavelength goes deeper into the skin. But what I'd really like to know is: 1) how does the recovery differ from 1927? 2) how do the results differ from 1927? I have no acne scarring & only light wrinkling so curious whether doing the 1550 treatments are worth it.

Difference between the Fraxel 1927 and 1550 wavelengths.

+2

As you stated, the 1550 wavelength is a deeper penetrating laser and is more suited for scars, wrinkles, and some mild pigment improvement.  It is non ablative so there is no open wounds.  It will have more swelling than the 1927.  There is some peeling, but more with the 1927.  The 1927 is a "partially ablative" laser that is very superficial and used to help pigmentation and superficial fine lines.  Both laser wavelengths are approved for removing precancerous lesions (actinic keratosis).  In general, I use both lasers at the same sitting, unless someone is only concerned about pigmentation or AK's (1927), or more concerned about scarring (1550).  My video show the 1927 laser.  Also, because the 1550 goes deeper, it is more painful during the procedure.

Fraxel 1550

+1

You will probably have more swelling after the Fraxel 1550 since it does penetrate more deeply than the 1927 but is more effective for stimulating collagen.  There will be redness but not the bronzing of the 1927 and you can apply makeup.  Your skin will feel rough and will start to flake at about 5 days and afterwards will feel very smooth and will glow.  Patients love the result.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist