Fraxel or Dermasweep?

My wife has some mild to medium acne scarring around her jaw line, temples and forehead and is incredibly self conscious about it. For her birthday she asked me to set up an appointment for a dermasweep and skin infusion. After looking into it I feel as though fraxel would give her the outcome that she wants but may be more expensive and intimidating. For her type of scarring what would be the recommended treatment? I know the answers cannot be for certain but what would you do if you were her?

Fraxel vs Dermasweep

+1

Thank you for your question. Acne scarring is very challenging to treat. A combination of treatments often provides the best results.  The  laser treatment will be a deeper, more effective treatment than a superficial dermasweep treatment, but the combination can provide even better results. For best and safest results, be sure to consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon who has expertise in acne, scarring, and skin of color.  I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Hello

+1

In our practice we like to tell our patients that you have a few different options. Without and exam or pictures it’s very hard to give you adequate advice. We recommend DOT laser, Profractional laser or a series of VI Peels. That would have to be determined after an exam. You should see a PS to give you accurate advice.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Treatments for mild to medium acne scarring

+1

Acne scarring is very, very, very minimally treated with any kind of microdermabrasion. The reason is that during microdermabrasion (dermasweep, silkpeel, or traditional) no skin is removed. To get to acne scarring, especially what most people call "medium scarring," some of the area has to be mildly removed, or at least altered. Fraxel or Matrix RF are really the only semi-ablative machines that are capable of treating deeper acne scars. Microdermabrasion cannot do it.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD