Does Fraxel or Chemical Peels For Hair Transplant Scars Damage Hair Follicles?

Hi. I have scars all over my scalp after hair transplants. I am considering fraxel or chemical peels to make it better. Could any of these procedures harm the hair follicles on my head?

Fraxel and hair transplant scars

+1

Fraxel Re:store will not damage hair follicles on the scalp and is a more predictable treatment than a chemical peel.  I have treated several patients with unsightly scars after hair transplantation with the Re:store and they have had significant improvement of the scars after 4 to 5 treatments.  Please see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for your treatments.

Toronto Dermatologist

There are four Fraxel Laser Wavelengths - 1550, 1440, 1927 and 10,600 nm.

+1

All of these lasers can be used safely on hair bearing areas unless the transplanted hair follicle is within the dept of the treatment wavelength.  !550 and 10,000nm wavelengths can penetrate deeper than 1440nm and 1927nm both of which have no risk of damaging a hair follicle.  If the transplanted follicle is less that 1.7mm in depth, the Fraxel Repair Laser could cause damage.  The 1550nm Fraxel Restore laser may reach the depth of the follicle, but probably will not damage to follicle of the transplanted hair unless the treatment is quite aggressive. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel and hair growth

+1

Fraxel laser light is not targeted towards the destruction of hair follicle. u should not have any problem with hair loss after fraxel. however, anything is possible. u may wanna discuss this with your treating physician 

Misbah Khan, MD

Harm to hairs

+1

I assume your hair transplants are growing and the scars you write about are in the donor area. Unless your situation is such that you shave your head and the scars from hair transplants are visible, I would think that laser or chemical peels would be ineffective . They certainly would not damage your remaining hair follicles. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel or chemical peels for hair transplant scars

+1

The bulbs of the hair follicles are pretty deep within the dermis normally and most resurfacing procedures do not extend that deeply.  One can never say never but most chemical peel and Fraxel procedures should not injure the new hair transplants.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon