Are Fraxel and IPL Better to Be Done Together or Seperate?

I have 2 problems. Firstly my skin looks red and the pigmentation is patchy. I also have wrinkles and scars I want to try and improve. Can IPL and fraxel be done seperately weeks apart, one to improve and even the tone of my pigmentation, the other to reduce lines and scars. Or am I better getting both problems treated at the same time, and if so, with what laser?

Fraxel and IPL

+1

Fraxel can improve the pigmentation, lines and scars but will not treat redness.  Since there is some redness right after Fraxel, you should do this treatment first, wait one week or longer, and then have IPL which will treat the redness.

Toronto Dermatologist

Fraxel and IPL laser are both wonderful and treat different problems

+1

Fraxel laser is wonderful for treating pigmentation, fine lines, wrinkles and scars.  IPL or V-Beam is the method of choice for redness or rosacea.  I often treat patients for the rosacea with one laser and follow-up a week later with the Fraxel for pigmentation, wrinkles, or scars.  There is no one laser that can treat all of these problems at the same time.

Michele S. Green, MD

Fraxel and IPL

+1
The procedures can easily be done together. Fraxel will improve the texture and pigmentation but not the red. IPL will improve the red and brown If you combine the two you may need fewer Fraxel treatments overall. This would of course be a cost savings assuming your physician is not charging as much for Fraxel as iPL. Doing the procedures together does not improve results but gives you one instead of two downtimes.

Jacqueline Calkin, MD
Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon