Child Facial Scar - What Laser Helps Reduce Appearance?

My daughter has two facial scars from accidents. She is only 10 years old, but being a girl, with her self-conscious years ahead, I thought she should have some laser treatments to help the appearance of the scars. The scars are not raised, but have a shiny surface and are somewhat lighter than the surrounding skin. They are also mildly indented. She has already had 3 Fraxel treatments, 1 Active Fx and 1 Deep Fx. The last one being about 5 months ago. I have seen about a 15% improvement thus far. Her dermatologist wants to do two more Deep FX treatments, 6 weeks apart. I am not sure if we should continue considering the minimal improvement seen so far. Does anyone have any advice? Thank you.

Child Facial Scars and Laser Resurfacing

+3

Hi ASW, Sorry that your child has had to go through the trauma of the accident and scars. It usually does take a series of treatments to see improvement in scars. Deeper treatments are more effective for scars, although I have seen very nice improvement with Fraxel re:store series. A couple more Active/Deep FX treatments should help. We have also seen nice results with Fraxel re:pair. Much good luck with your daughter, I hope that you see great improvement over the next few treatments. Dr. P

Time helps scar appearance most

+1

Early on a scar improves by itself given proper treatment (sunscreens and massage.) It is possible that the treatments you have had so far haven't done much. I would advise leaving the scar alone for a six months to a year. When she gets older a scar revision might be in order.

Best Regards.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Accident scar treatment for child

+1

I have had slightly better results with the Fraxel Re:Store and would recommend this for a child as it is somewhat less traumatic and requires less after care.  Both do work, but the results can take multiple treatments and several months of improvement as the melanocytes are stimulated.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon