Fraxel Acne Scars Results?

I have seen mild improvement in the acne scars from before my 3rd treatment and after 5 days of the treatment. I understand that acne scars will continue to improve even for the next 1 - 3 months. But, does much of the improvement comes in the first week after fraxel or does it comes in 1 to 3 months later? Will the result I see 1 - 3 months later become much more significant or does the result i'm seeing now pretty much determines the final result?

Treating Acne Scars

+2

The results from treating acne scars with the Fraxel lasers in San Diego are dependent on breaking down scar tissue and replacing it with new fine collagen fibers. This is a slow process and always takes 3-6 months. The early improvement (1 week) is more likely to be due to swelling in the tissue and does not correlate with the long-term results. The results can be enhanced by using active topical agents that help stimulate collagen including SkinMedica TNS, Retinol and Vit Cand E Complex. Some patients don’t see much improvement early but see slow gradual improvement over a period of 6 months or more.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel for scarring

+2

It takes two to three months to see the results from a Fraxel treatment, whether it is the ablative or non-ablative Fraxel.  You will see some improvement in the first week after treatment because of swelling.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

There are multiple different Fraxel Lasers, Fraxel restore 1550, Thulium 1927, Repair 10,600nm, Clear and Brilliant.

+2

I am not sure what type of Fraxel Laser was used for your treatment or what settings were used, so it is hard to answer your question.  In my hands, the Fraxel Repair Laser combined with tumescent anesthesia and extensive subcision achieves the greatest improvement for most of my patients. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel Acne Scars Results?

+1

Thank you for your question. Results vary with many levels of scarring, skin types, level of acne control, hormones, age of the scars, sun exposure, and other factors.  We find treatment numbers may take 3-10 times.  On darker skin, we treat more cautiously, thus needing more treatments, while respecting the skin risk of pigmentary disruption.  Allow 6 months to fully evaluate your response.  I hope this helps!

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist