Fraxel Setting for Sensitive Skin

I am considering fraxel for mild acne scars on my chin and cheeks, reduction of fine lines would be welcome too. I went to the medspa for a consultation and the nurse said that the entire procedure is performed at the highest setting 70 mj. I have sensitive skin and am wondering if this is appropriate. Also I do have some acne at the moment, is it best to wait until I'm cleared up and why is that?

Fraxel one very good treatment for acne scars

+1

Fraxel is one of the best ways to treat acne scars, but your intuition about needing to quiet down any acute acne breakout is a good one. I also agree that seeking out the most experienced providers possible rather than the medspa setting you describe is also wise. Starting out at 70 mj in a patient with sensitive skin may be a little agressive...stating out slowly and more conservatively is always a good idea until you see what that individuals reaction to the treatment will be....and then you can turn up the power if need be for subsequent treatments.

Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Clear acne before treating scars with Fraxel

+1

You should get your acne cleared before resuracing with laser otherwise a flare of acne, which is common during recocvery. You could risk more scarring from the new acne. Acne scars are treated with settings that allow for deeper penetration of the laser energy. Sensitive skin may react to the typical creams used afterthe laser so it might be good to even test the product prior to treatment by applying a small amount on a small patch of skin behind the ear. It is wiser for you to consult with an experienced physician and have their practice do the treatment as long as they provide emergency call backs in case you have a problem.

Med Spa? Nurse? See a doctor!

+1

It certainly sounds like you need the advice of a board certified dermatologist familiar with Fraxel technology, as well as the knowledge to head off potential problems from laser on sensitive skin and treat your medical problem of acne. Your sixth sense to question their judgement is right on. Fraxel is not a facial and has the potential for problems when used by non-physician practicioners. Get your massage at a spa, get your medical treatments from a doctor!

Web reference: http://www.drmarylupo.com

New Orleans Dermatologist

Fraxel settings

+1

I love Do-it-yourselfers - I am one too and I know many of my Plastic surgery colleagues are as well. But, as confident as I am in my abilities and surgical judgment, aside from stitching my baby girl's forehead, I would not operate on a member of my family nor treat my self with my lasers.

I am therefore thoroughly puzzled with your approach and execution. "...I went to the med spa for a consultation and the nurse said... ". WHY would you entrust your face to a Fraxel laser at a med spa? Instead of being seen by an experienced laser Plastic surgeon ./ ENT or Dermatologist WHY would you even listen to what a nurse operator at a spa had to say?

For starters, your acne should be under control and that can be done with a few IPL (example Sciton BBL) Blue light which would kill your bacteria and help resolve the acne.

The next question, WHY Fraxel and not another resurfacing modality? Fraxel is truly no longer the best way to solve resurfacing issues. There are better ways with shorter recoveries. You OWE it to yourself to leave the Do-it-yourself for small house repairs and see a real professional for the medical stuff.