Is There a Procedure to Open my Upper Sinus a Little?

I have had surgery to open my sinus due to extreme sinusitis. As a result I have a blockage in the upper left nostril, which does not affect my breathing, but mucus gets trapped and causes pressure, discomfort and a bad odour. My ENT says that because it's not affecting my breathing, he does not want to address the problem, and that I should learn to live with the discomfort. I'm wondering if there might be a procedure to trim a little and open this blockage for healthy drainage of mucus?

You may have a scar that is easily treated

+1
It sounds like there is an area of scar tissue, maybe to the nasal septum, that is preventing your nose from working correctly. Breathing is one major concern with the nose but a bad odor and pain or pressure will also decrease your quality of life. You could start by trying saline rinses. You may want to get a second opinion as all doctors do not see things the same way. Have an otolaryngologist evaluate your nasal cavities and anterior nose.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revisions Nasal Surgery

+1

Hi there, it really depends on what the issue is. Its difficult to write a perfect answer to this without looking in your nose.

To me, the best option is to keep your nose clear with saline rinses. I know thats not the easiest long term option for you, but the safest.

If you start to get infections/breathing troubles, I would agree at that point surgery would be ideal. It may be due to anything from a septal deviation to an adhesion band (which is a mild type of abnormal scarring after nasal surgery).

Just ensure you have someone take a good look in your nose with a flexible camera.

Obviously, the key is to have either an FRCSC in Canada or a Board certified surgeon in the USA take a look.

James Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon