Phenol peel or laser resurfacing for sagging lower eyelids? (Photo)

Hi i am a 44 yo man and i would to know what would be the most efficient way to improve the appearance of my lower eyelids which start having many folds especially when i smile . are phenol peel or Laser resurfacing efficient in my case ? thank you very much in advance

How To Improve Your Sagging Lower Eyelids

+1
Your question is not as straightforward as one might hope.

There a number of non-invasive procedures that would help improve the appearance of your lower eyelids, such as:

• Botox or Dysport to soften the lines when you smile, by improving any “dynamic” wrinkles associated with movement in that area,
  • Sciton SkinTyte (a broadband light application that is more gradual, but has no downtime at all), 
  • Injectable Fillers (not my favorite option because of the very high risk of bruising, and the risk of changing the shape of your eyes)
  • Ablative laser or phenol resurfacing of this area - both are very aggressive and effective techniques to improve the appearance of fine lines in this area – but some may not consider these efficient because of the prolonged downtime. 

Better Approach:

A more efficient approach may be to combine a less aggressive ablative laser resurfacing treatment, known as a Micro Laser Peel, with fractionated laser resurfacing (such as ProFractional). Adding the “fractionated” element to the treatment, allows for deeper treatment in a safer fashion, with quicker recovery time. This combination results in much more rapid recovery than full-strength ablative resurfacing and can be titrated to address your skin type more efficiently and effectively.

From the pictures you've provided, puffiness caused by excess fat around the lower eyelid area is not obvious. You certainly need a thorough in-person consultation to assess the best options for your particular issues. But addressing any lower eyelid puffiness should also at least be considered in assessing the most effective approach to achieve your desired results.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Phenol Peel or laser resurfacing for sagging lower eyelids...

+1
The operative word in your question is efficient. Most definitions of efficient indicate achieving desired result quickly. I would have concern that even if the laser or peel caused the desired result quickly. Your recovery would be prolonged with red colored skin for several weeks. Dr Wong’s suggestion of the pinch blepharoplasty would also be my choice to correct you skinfolds in the most efficient manner.

Good luck
Michael Sadove, MD

A. Michael Sadove, MD

Peels for Lower Eyelids?

+1
Thank you for your picture.  I do not believe that peels are going to be your answer.  I feel that a thoughtful lower lid blepharoplasty will provide more improvement.  Consult with several BC PS.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Phenol peel or laser resurfacing

+1
There is obviously some skin excess in the lower eyelid. Both Phenol peel and CO2 laser has some ability to contract the skin, but the downtime and risk far supersedes the benefit. On the other hand a Lower eyelid Blepharoplasty will give more definitive result which outweighs the risks in experienced hands.

Sanjay Parashar, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty

+1
would love to see some more pictures, with you not smiling and another with you looking up with your eyes, to see if this is a result of animation, a excess of skin or loss of skin elasticity
warm regards
prashant

Prashant Murugkar, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Phenol peel or laser resurfacing for sagging lower eyelids?

+1
Non-surgical options are always very attractive. However, both deep chemical peels and laser resurfacing are unlikely to eliminate the crêpe paper changes that trouble you. Further, the downtime from these non-surgical procedures will likely be more significant than a lower blepharoplasty from which you would be well healed by 7-10 days. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
Your best option would likely be a surgical lower lid blepharoplasty.  Skin resurfacing procedures whether, chemical peels or lasers are best applied to an entire aesthetic unit such as the entire periorbital area (upper and lower lids).  Moreover, they are more effective for very fine wrinkles and skin discolorations, not excess lower eyelid skin folds which is what it appears is your issue.  Best of luck.

A. Joshua Zimm, MD

Phenol peel or laser resurfacing for sagging lower eyelids? (

+1
I think they would both be bad choices with some risks that might require long term makeup to cover. With your lids a skin only resection carries very little risk and the scars are usually very hard to find and you will get a significant improvement.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Tightening lower lid skin

+1
can be accomplished with what you have mentioned but they come with longer healing times than most males can handle, including the possible use of make up to conceal color changes.  If you were in my office, I would be suggesting a pinch lower lid blepharoplasty as I have had one myself.  Could use another one though....

Curtis Wong, MD

Lower eyelid wrinkles treatment- LASER or surgery

+1
It is normal and appropriate for the eyelids to wrinkle when smiling. even when there is no excess skin as in younger patients. The diagnostic question here is really "is there excess skin that can be safely corrected best by resurfacing (LASER or peel) or by surgery?  An experienced eyelid plastic surgeon will evaluate the skin particularly with the eyes looking up to see if there is a correctable problem. Often there is no excess skin in a 40 year old and the resurfacing is a better choice than surgery, particularly when the is no fat bulging or "tear trough" hollowing.

LASER resurfacing is safer than phenol and loss of pigment  rarely occurs but the degree of skin shrinkage is minimal but also uncertain with resurfacing compared to surgery.
.
Botox is appropriate for "crows feet" wrinkles but may cause the lower lid to droop if injected below the lid for wrinkles such as those depicted.

A consultation with an experienced eye lid surgeon who also does LASER would be appropriate.

C. Dennis Bucko, MD