Hairline Lowering or Hair Transplants? Which One is Better for Me? (photo)

I have curly hair and a high forehead, I'm not sure which one is better for me, hairline lowering or hair transplant, thanks for the replies.

Hair Transplant or Hairline Lowering

+1

I have found that usually hair transplant is better because it avoids the scarring of an excisional procedure such as lowering the forehead.  Occasionally when you try to surgically lower the forehead there is recurrance because of stretch back of the skin. 

Hair Transplant versus Hairline Lowering

+1

This depends on if you have pattern baldness or were just born with a large forehead, or both. I am an advocate of the FUE method of hair transplant in either case, but especially for those with pattern baldness. The scarring result with follicular unit extraction hair transplant is visually negligible, the result is incredibly natural looking, and the surgery is minimally invasive (no staples or stitches). Of course, it’s critical to find an experienced surgeon in order to get the best outcome possible.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Hairline Lowering or Hair Transplants

+1

It is very nice that you sent pictures.  Pictures of your entire face would be helpful but a consult would be best to examine you.  Particularly the length of your forehead if shortening is to be considered and the density of your donor area if hair transplants are to be considered.  Also, the inclination of which treatment would be appropriate would have to consider your gender as indicated by Dr. Kabaker.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Hairline Lowering vs Hair Transplants

+1

I assume you are a young male. If there is evidence that hair loss will progress I wound not do hairline lowering because you will ultimately lose the hair that is moved down lower on your forehead. Hair transplants or the Fleming Mayer Flap would be a better procedure. Schedule a consult with a physician who does all hair replacement procedures.

Hairline lowering

+1

There is no question in my mind and experience that the hairline lowering operation is the superior choice unless the scalp has no laxity. This operation gives the most density and a near instantaneous result when compared to hair transplants. The scar is usually less undetectable than the appearance  of a hair transplant result. If you are male, with a balding pattern, the opposite would apply. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Transplant

+1

A transplant will be superior based on the photos. "Hairline lowering" will cause a permanent scar that would look bad should hair loss be ongoing; I think it would be a mistake.

Alexander Lewis, MD
Walnut Creek Dermatologic Surgeon

Hairline lowering

+1

Based on the photos you have included in your question, it is nearly impossible to make a recommendation to you.  Your next step is to make an in-person consultation with an experienced hair transplant surgeon.  At that time, you can discuss hairline design, goals, look at pre- and post- operative photos, and go over all of your medical/surgical options.  This is the only way you can get a treatment plan that is right for you. Best of luck to you. Dr. P

Allan J. Parungao, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon