How Fragile Are Chin Implants?

Hi! I'm only 1 day post op from a chin implant and obviously it's a little tender but I was wondering how fragile are the implants? I recently read an article that said your bones grow into the implant and since this information is new to me, can anyone tell me if this is true? What would I expect to happen if in 3 months time if I happened to bump or knock my chin? Would this significantly effect it's placement?

Chin Implants

+1

There are various types and makes of chin implants but most are made from silicone or silastic.  As with any foreign object placed into any area of the body, a capsule forms around the implant, which generally keeps it from migrating after any sutures have been dissolved.  Certainly, if one sustains a hard enough blow, or trauma, there is always a chance of dislodgement; however, this is rare. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

How fragile are chin implants?

+1

Chin implants are quite strong. The bones do not grow into the implant. After three months, your implant will be securely in place, and it would take a significant amount of force to shift or dislodge it. If you simply bumped or knocked your chin, it will not dislodge and I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy the result of your recent surgery, and I wish you the best of luck!

Web reference: http://www.spaldingplasticsurgery.com/

Chin Implant is Good

+1

Bumping your chin implant after 3 months will cause no harm and should not move it.  Some implants are smooth and your body forms a scar capsule, or sac,around them.  Others are not smooth and the body may grow scar onto the rough surface.  The bone itself will not grow into the implant.  Either way, you should be fine!

Chin implant

+1

There are numerous different materials for chin implants. The two basic catagories are porous and non porous. Porous implants allow the small ingrowth of bone to help stabilize and hold them in place. Non-porous implants become encapsulated and in my experience after a few weeks are just as unlikely to move. At three months post-op you would need a serious hit to the chin to move the implant. In 25 years and over 1500 chin implants I do not think I had more than 1 or 2 ever moved post-op from any kind of trauma. They are not fragile.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fragility of chin implants

+1

There are different types of chin implant material, but I would say the most commonly used ones are made of solid silicone.  These implants are not fragile and the bone would not be expected to grow into the implant.  Normally, several days after the implant is placed, a capsule will form around the implant which helps to stabilize it.  It would take a significant amount of force to disrupt the implant after this time.  

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implants are designed to be permanent in nature

+1

Dear Tia, Little bumps and knocks are not going to hurt a healed chin implant. Chin implants are designed to be placed and stay permanently in tact where they are placed. There are different types of implants made of different materials however they are not "fragile". Obviously certain precautions should be taken as they would with your own natural facial features. With contact sports proper gear should be used for further protection. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Web reference: http://www.michaelelammd.com