I Have a Fractured Nose & Damaged Septum, Dr. Says Only Septum Should Be Corrected, Is this Right?

I asked a question few wks ago about being pregnant & maybe having a fractured nose. Went to an ENT & my nose is fractured & my septum has scar tissue that's already curving. I can't get it fixed til the baby's born, but the Dr doesn't think I should worry about fixing the fracture, she just wants to fix my septum. I want both fixed, bc I have a small dent in my upper left side of my nose. What would I need done in order to fix both problems?

Septoplasty versus rhinoplasty

+1

need photos to assess

but if you have an extermal contour irregularity it is unlikely that a septoplasty alone with fix this issue

if you have the septoplasty alone then go on to want the rhino later you will no longer have septal cartilage to use as grafts in rhinoplaty

i see patients all the time who have septoplasties then later want/need a rhinoplasty - at that point i need to go to the ear or ribs for cartilage

many patients dont understand this

also some doctors dont offer rhinoplasty if they feel uncomfortable with the procedure (and it is wise not to do it if they dont feel comfortable with it) so they will offer the septoplasty only knowing it will make some improvement with the breathing

in my opinion if the patient wants a rhino the doctor should refer them to someone who feels comfortable doing rhinoplasty

interested in coming ot austin?

More logical to do rhinoplasty and septoplasty at same session.

+1

Dear Kristy:

I really do not understand why the surgeon does not want to correct the nasal fracture, since it sounds like it is not a major undertaking.

If you are going to have the anesthetic and he is going to be working inside the nose, it does not add much time or complexity to correct any and all issues related to the injury.  Obviously you are right in waiting until you have had your child. 

If the doctor’s rationale for dividing the repair work into two sessions does not make sense, it sounds like you have plenty of time to get a second opinion. 

Remember, there is economy in having two needed procedures at the same time.  There is the economy of having only one anesthetic.  There is the economy of your time; one time off from work or family duties versus two.  And there is the economy of dollars. 

Think about it.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON
Author, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Robert Kotler, MD

+1

After you deliver and are done breast feeding, there should be no reason that you couldn't have a combined Septo-Rhinoplasty that would do both IMHO.  The Rhinoplasty would address any deviations externally of the nasal cartilage and/or bone for nasal refinement, while the Septoplasty would reduce any nasal obstruction.  Be sure your Rhinoplasty Surgeon understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive nose.

A Fractured Nose and Septum Can Be Fixed At The Same Time

+1

A fractured nose and septum can be fixed at the same time.  Performing a septoplasty and rhinoplasty at the same time is done frequently, and I recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon.  It can be difficult to get insurance to cover a rhinoplasty done for reconstructive purposes--good luck.

Jeremiah Redstone, MD