Should I Have Fractional Laser Treatment on a Scar That is Still in the Process of Natural Healing?

I have an atrophic scar on my forehead that is only from 6 months ago. I would like to get a fractional laser procedure done to minimize the scar's final appearance. I spoke to 2 doctors who both suggested non ablative fractional laser. One doctor told me to wait 1 year before having treatment done. A second doctor suggested I should have the fractional laser treatment done right away, while it's still naturally healing, because more collagen would be produced. Should I wait or have it done now?

Laser treatment for new scars

+1

The best treatment for new scars is with a vascular laser (PDL or long pulsed Nd:YAG), to help the collagen remodel more evenly.  You can also apply silicone (available over the counter) to help soften and fade new scars.  Topical prescription strength retinoids will help to remodel the collagen as well.  Although using fractionated laser resurfacing while a scar is still healing will not hurt it, it may be best to wait to use this treatment once the scar is fully matured (at least a year old).

Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.