Can Fractional Laser Treatment Promote Skin Cancer?

Do you think this fractional lasers can promote skin cancer? I see something on my nose that wasn't there before the procedure.

Fractional lasers are not carcinogenic

+2

So far, ultraviolet light and ionized radiation are the energies known to be responsible for skin carcinogenesis. Currently, there is no link between fractional lasers and carcinogenicity. These are safe devices that use infrared light energy to treat various skin conditions. So fractional lasers can actually improve the quality of the skin, thus theoretically minimizing the chances of skin cancer development in photodamaged skin.

Hollywood Dermatologist

Laser and Cancer

+2

There is no evidence to suggest that any lasers promote skin cancer. Laser light is "non-ionizing". Ionizing Radiation is the type of radiation that promotes skin cancer.

Jerome Potozkin, MD
Danville Dermatologic Surgeon

Fractional Laser Treatments and Skin Cancer

+1
There is no link between these lasers and skin cancer. In fact, there is some  literature suggesting these lasers stimulation of the skin can actually help dry out pre-skin cancerous lesions. If lesions appear after a laser, have your physician look at it but unless there was a cancer there before, I think you can feel reassured it is not likely a cancer that resulted from the laser. 

Farhan Taghizadeh, MD
Albuquerque Facial Plastic Surgeon