Fractional Co2 Laser Treatment For Acne Scars?

I had fractional Co2 laser treatment for my acne scars 1 month and 1/2 after i was done from my roacutaine treatment. At the time I was having the laser treatment I did not know and was not informed that roacutaine was a relative contraindication. I am currently 4 months and there is still redness.Sometimes it is a pinkish color and other times my normal skin color comes back, but flaring does occur with sudden episodes of redness. Thankfully there's no scarring. Will the redness every go away?

Redness After Fractional Laser Resurfacing

+2

Prolonged erythema is one the risks of fractional CO2 laser resurfacing. Taking Accutane just prior to the laser can further the extent of the erythema. It is for this reason many recommend prolonged discontinuation before this type of laser treatment. That being said here are my thoughts from my experience.

1. The extent of the erythema can be tied to the spot size of the laser, the energy setting,  and the % of your skin that was treated with the fractional laser. In general, larger spot sizes especially 300 microns or larger can cause more prolonged erythema. Also, the more surface coverage with higher energies, the more the erythema.

2. There are several ways to treat erythema post CO2 fractional laser resurfacing. Two things that are key are sun avoidance and possible use of topical steroids. For steroids, please consult your practitioner and make sure your skin is monitored during this process.

3. Finally, the impact of the laser on the skin diminishes between 6-9 months after a treatment, again depending on spot size, energy, and spot density.  If the flare ups do not slowly diminish over time, make sure you see a specialist to further evaluate your skin.

Hope this helps. 

Albuquerque Facial Plastic Surgeon

Acne and CO2 fractionated laser treatments

+1

You are still early in your recovery period and active phase of healing from the CO2 laser.  Give it a chance.  Acne scarring is difficult to treat because it is a deep dermal problem.  The fractional laser energy does a good job at smoothing out the superficial irregularities but it has a difficult time with these deeper scars.  The Cynosure SmartXide laser has the capability of stacking the pulses to penetrated deeper into the scar.  The deeper the treatment and the closer together the dots then the more prolonged the healing as well.  Complete healing takes 4 - 6 months to achieve.