Is the Fractional CO2 Laser Procedure Right for Me?

I'm 47, male, with considerable sun damage around my eyes (serious dynamic wrinkles) that I know the CO2 laser could improve. However, when I'm not smiling my facial skin is actually quite youthful, smooth and tight - even around the eyes. Since the CO2 laser tightens skin and mine doesn't need tightening, would it be contra-indicated in my case?

Fractional CO2 is excellent for sun-damage

+2

Fractionated CO2 lasers are an excellent choice to treat sun damaged skin because it can effectively target all of the problems associated with aging with sun damage: discoloration, wrinkles, skin tone and texture.  It does effect tightening, which is the 'holy grail' of tissue treatments, but you will benefit most with respect to fine lines and evening your skin tone/texture.

Botox may be a useful addition to CO2 and although you would likely be happy with either individually, their effects complement one another quite nicely.   

Springfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Wrinkles around the eyes

+1

You describe dynamic lines of the face that go away in the absence of muscle activation. The treatment for that is botox not laser. Laser by itself will only temporarily effect dynamic line. With continued muscle movement the lines quickly return. If the complaint were skin discoloration or uneven pigmentation laser or chemical peel would be valid options.

Aaron Stone, MD