Redness After CO2 Fractional Laser

I was treated with CO2 Fractional Laser for acne scar on my whole face 4 weeks ago. Now, it's still pretty red, and I feel hopeless because it seems like my skin is getting worse. Is there any possibility that my normal skin color will return?

Reddness will go away

+3

The reddness you are experiencing is not uncommon, even after fractional laser treatments. It is usually an indication that the skin is still healing. I would avoid any skin bleaching cream or Retin A for another week, or if you are using these creams, back-off and start using them every other day. Use lots of moisturizer and avoid the sun. It will get better.

Medford Plastic Surgeon

Redness after laser skin resurfacing

+2
Redness is a common factor in the postoperative laser phase. I would make sure that you are using no abrasive cleansers, products containing AHA's, Retin-A, and keeping to a simple cetaphil wash. You may also moisturize with cetaphil lotion. If any of these products cause irritation or further redness you stop them immediately as you may have a sensitivity tom the product. Sunscreen may also cause sensitivity problems however it is pertinent to use post surgery. Make sure you find a sunscreen that is not irritating and is approved by your physician. Many of my patients use La Mer cream after the first week of their post operative phase and have been happy with the results. Each patient reacts differently to the healing process and I strongly suggest keeping a close patient physician repore during this recovery process. I hope this is helpful to you and please know that time is on your side. Your skin will return to normal and hopefully with a new youthful, scar free appearance! Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Redness after Fractional CO2 laser

+1

Redness is a common side effect of the Fractionated CO2 laser.  Usually my patients stay red for a few days after treatment.  Was this your first treatment? The redness should dissipate fairly quickly.  If it continues you should return to you dermatologist to evaluate it and see if they can give you anything to help the redness go away more quickly.  Make sure you had the actual Fraxel laser and always consult with a board certified dermatologist for your treatments who has experience in this procedure.

Michele S. Green, MD

Laser

+1

The redness you are experiencing sounds normal, you are still in the healing phase.  Make sure you are following your post op instructions carefully and using SPF!!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon