Can I Have a Fotofacial if I Am Using Proactive?

Is it OK for me to get a Fotofacial while I am also using Proactiv on my face?

Photofacial

+1

I would encourage you to discontinue the ProActiv 1-2 weeks prior to the photofacial and then start it again about 1 week after your photofacial.  We want to decrease the risk of irritating the skin prior to the treatment and after.

ProActiv and Photofacial

+1

There is no problem combining the two, although I'd advise stopping the ProActiv 2 weeks prior to the photofacial, microdermabrasion or chemical peeling to minimize side effects. 

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Absolutely!

+1

Thanks for your question.

You should have no problem getting a fotofacial while on Proactiv. Simply be careful that you don't have irritation while on Proactiv before undergoing your fotofacial. This is simply because fotofacials may also result in inflammation and if you have previous inflammation from proactiv, you may run the risk of having slight side effects (darkening of the skin after inflammation).

If you have no problem using Proactiv, then you should have no problem at all having a fotofacial!

Good luck!

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist