Is It Normal to Have More Swelling Again After the Swelling Has Gone Down?

I had a TT with lypo and I was 6 wks post op on Friday. I last saw my PS at 4 wks po and he said I'm healing beautifully. I worked out for the first time on Saturday (Zumba) and then again on Sunday (bike ride). I noticed I seem to be more swollen than normal. Is this a result of the workouts? I was careful and I did low impact both days. So, I'm nore sure if this is something I should be concerned about.

Swelling after surgery

+1

You most likely need not be concerned but please check with your surgeon.  I ask my patients to refrain from exercising for about 6 weeks after tummy tuck, and then take it step by step and make the decision regarding exercising during each follow up visit, as everyone heals at a different rate.  You may have developed a seroma, or fluid buildup, which can generally be aspirated, but again, you need to check with your plastic surgeon. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Working Out after Tummy Tuck

+1

There is altered handling of fluids for months after a major surgery like a tummy tuck.  Swelling that comes and goes after exercise is a normal part of healing.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Swelling after Workout Following Tummy Tuck

+1

It is very normal as you stress your body during workouts in the early post-operative period for the swelling to get worse.  As long as the swelling resolves over the next couple of days, I would not worry.  If it does not, then I would call your surgeon for a check up.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Swelling after a Tummy Tuck

+1

This is probably normal. When you begin to work out again and become active to your normal routine, you can expect some swelling the more you do. Just to be sure, you should follow up with your plastic surgeon to make sure you haven't developed a seroma.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Swelling after tummy tuck

+1

Some swelling is quite normal after patients return to vigorous exercise.  Usually this swelling goes down after several hours, especially if the patient uses some compression.  If it doesn't go down, you may want to see your plastic surgeon to check for a fluid collection, although it would be very unusual to collect fluid at this point.

I have found with tummy tuck recoveries that they are very individual.  Some patients are ready to work out vigorously after six weeks, others not until three months.

Generally, patients should listen to their bodies; if the swelling is prolonged, it may be for a signal to reduce the intensity of the workout.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Activity and swelling after tummy tuck

+1

Yes, this is quite common. When you start performing exertional activity the swelling may increase . It should get better with time.

+1

Although it is possible to have an increase of swelling associated with return to normal activities, it is also possible that you have developed a seroma, a fluid collection, and if so that might require your surgeon's attention. Do call your surgeon who, based upon some questions, can decide whether you should be seen.

Thanks for your question, all the best