Did I massage too hard after Capsulotomy (2nd one), or is this outer/underside of breast swelling (no bruising) normal? (photo)

I had my 10day post of from capsulotomy(2nd one I've had on left) and implant exchange(175cc saline to 300saline).I have been instructed to massage, and now I'm (possibly) more swollen and definitely more sore.Can you massage too hard and cause damage?

Care after implant exchange for capsular contracture

+2
There are several aspects to your situation and it would not be appropriate for anyone to second-guess your surgeon's advice about massage or other aspects of your postoperative care. I would say however as a general rule that massage is not proven to be helpful in preventing capsular contracture. For recurrent contracture, my usual recommendation would be total capsulectomy and use of Strattice to control the pocket and minimize the risk of recurrence.

Capsulotomy and Implant Massage

+2

Implant massage has never been shown to have any benefit after either primary or revision breast implant surgery.  Many surgeons, including myself, do not prescribe it for any reason. If you notice swelling  and tenderness, you should stop immediately and make an appointment to see your surgeon. If he disagrees and wants you to continue, ask him to provide you with the scientific literature that suggests it provides a benefit to breast implant patients.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Did I massage too hard after Capsulotomy (2nd one), or is this outer/underside of breast swelling (no bruising) normal?

+2

Your plastic surgeon, who knows your situation best, will be in the best position to evaluate your situation. I am doubtful, however that any degree of massage will explain the appearance of your breast. It is more likely, that what you are seeing is your breast tissue on top of the underlying breast implant;  hopefully, this appearance will improve over time.

In the meantime, continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

+1

The second posted photo is of concern. I can not be sure exactly what the issue is. Best to seek in person follow up with your surgeon...