Is 25 cc enough to make a difference in size in a breast augmentation? How do I approach my surgeon with my concerns about size?

I had BA today(switched implants for bigger size bc they lost volume w/age)and to correct capsulure contracture and unevenness in size from 14yrs ago.I had an unkown size since I was so young when I originally got them and wanted 350cc.I'm 115 lbs.Apparently I had 275 and was only bumped up to 300cc (I was completely flat chested before), which even w/swelling has not increased my bra size.Also, the assymettry wasn't corrected.I'm depressed that I wasted this $.I wouldn't have done it for 25 cc.

+1

Several general thoughts may be helpful to you. As you may know, 25 cc difference in volume of breast implant is probably not clinically noticeable. Also, given that your operation was done very recently, it is much too early to evaluate the outcome of the procedure when it comes to size/and or symmetry concerns. Best to evaluate the outcome of the procedure performed several months from now.

At 3 to 6 months postoperatively, if you remain displeased with the outcome of the procedure, best to address your concerns with your plastic surgeon in a calm and constructive fashion. Hopefully, working together, you will be able to formulate a plan to best achieve your goals.

As you have learned, and for the sake of future patients considering breast surgery, careful  preoperative communication of goals  between patient and plastic surgeon are one of the “key to success”.

Implant size, symmetry and capsular contracture

+1
There are a lot of variables in determining the best size implants, especially in your case: For one, implants usually either deflate or not; they don't lose volume. It sounds also like there was some misinformation about what size you had. With capsular contracture, the scar capsule is removed which also makes a size decision tricky. And bra size is a very non-scientific and inconsistent way to measure breast volume. And finally, no one has perfect symmetry. With all of these factors, the need for some fine-tuning is not uncommon but an additional 25 cc would not likely have made a significant difference.

Richard Baxter, MD

25 cc change in implants

+1

25 cc change is not usually significant to make a difference in the appearance.  Best to talk to your surgeon.

Size difference

+1
Well your question is a bit more complicated than simply 'Is 25cc change worth it'.  The fact is that 25cc is a small amount...less than 2 tablespoons in fact.  However the implant companies use this interval between implants because, in the 200-300 range, 25cc is visible.  That said, you have some other things going on here.  If your real reason for having surgery was for an increase in size then, if the only issue was the size of the implant, then you're right...a 25cc change alone might not be worth the surgery.\

However what you're presenting is a situation where you have implants in place for 14 years and have capsule contractures and asymmetry.  The fact that your capsule was removed should actually reduce your volume slightly.  The implants shosen should have been based not just on your desires but also based on your dimensions.  It's easy for you now to focus just on the volume because your contracture issue should have been resolved.  But, if you're main conversation with your surgeon was your desire to be larger, then I would think that an implant larger than 25cc different would have been selected.  My sense is that once your surgeon observed the changes in your breast after removal of the capsule, he made the choice he felt was correct for you taking your conversations into account.

I hope this helps...Dr. Newman

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

25cc implant volume increase unlikely to result in noticeable difference

+1
The question of implant size and volume is one I counsel daily with prospective patients. Assuming the implant content, model, are all the same, then the answer is no. 25cc is less than two tablespoons and really is not going to offer a visible difference.

A bit more information to guide understanding. First, silicone volume may appear smaller than saline. Assuming implants are the same size, the implant profile can also impact the perceived size/look. Additionally, manufacturer implant dimensions may also play a role.

It is still early in your recovery. I would encourage you to let the healing process continue and reengage with your surgeon. 

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon