Breast Augmentation, or is a Breast Lift with Implants Needed? (photo)

I delivered my son in July of 2011, and after recovering I hit the gym and lost 50+ Lbs. Losing that much weight as made me feel amazing, but I am really unhappy with my breasts. I have been considering breast augmentation for a very long time, but while doing research I am now worried that a lift and implants is what is really needed. So my questions are: Is a lift with implants what is going to give me the best results? and what is the cost difference between the two? Thank you, Kristen

Breast Augmentation vs Breast Lift (Mastopexy) with Breast Implants.

+2

Great job and great question!  In reviewing the pictures, you would best be served by a breast lift with augmentation.  This is due to the low position of the nipple in relation to the breast fold.  You would have a great outcome with a moderately sized implant that matches your body habitus.  I would also recommend the use of a silicone breast implant due the the lack of breast tissue.  A saline implant would likely show a significant amount of rippling.  Price would obviously be greater with the combined surgery due to length of time added.  Best of luck.  

Breast deflation following weight loss after pregnancy

+2

Congratulations on your dedication to being healthy and working hard to loose that weight. Your breasts are totally deflated now from weight loss but all is not lost. It appears that something will need to be done to tighten the skin in addition to breast augmentation though. I think that a circumareolar mastopexy will be needed but you may need a lollipop mastopexy if you use a smaller implant. A high profile or form stable, shaped implant, might provide a nice result. The type and size of implant depends on your goals but this is an alternative in the "empty breast". The procedures can be done together.  Depending on the procedure and the implant type the range of cost will somewhere be in the $8000 plus range with anesthesia. I think that you risk the implants "falling out" with an augmentation procedure alone. I would need to further evaluate you to give you in order to give a definitive answer. 

David R. Stephens, MD

Breast Augmentation, or is a Breast Lift with Implants Needed?

+2

You need a lift, if you want more volume, in the same operation implants.

Spanish translation provided by doctor:

Usted necesita una pexia mamaria, para levantar las mamas, y si quiere mas volumen, en la misma operacion implantes 

Maria Cristina Picon, MD
Argentina Plastic Surgeon

+1

Congratulations on all the accomplishments noted!!
From the photos it appear that you will indeed have to consider a lift if you decide to proceed with augmentation. One ballpark estimate of that need is when you can't see the normal flesh colored breast skin under the areola from straight on.  The problem in that setting in doing implants only is that the native breast tissue may seem to be draping off the implant. 

These opinions can be rendered based on photos alone, but should be acted upon only based upon an in person exam in the setting of a consultation, where the options can be reviewed based upon an understanding of your goals, and a review of any limitations due to your anatomy. It may be that a lift could be done with incision around the areola alone, but a vertical incision may well be recommended. In my area fees for both procedure would be about $10,000.

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Breast Augmentation with Lift in Someone Who Works Out

+1

Don't even worry about the cost differences. You need a lift with an augmentation. You have other problems, however. Your pectoralis muscle is quite high and you have very little superior breast tissue to hide the implant. This means that you are not an ideal candidate for either a submuscular or subglandular placement of the implants. That being said, because you work out and because of the extremely high insertion of the pectoralis muscles, I would probably opt for a subglandular placement, even though the implant may be a little visible.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation or Augmentation with Lift?

+1

Mothers may find that pregnancy and breastfeeding contribute to loss of volume and firmness. To perk up a drooping breast, your surgeon will remove excess skin, reposition the nipple, and redrape and tighten the remaining skin to support the breast. The areola may also be reduced in size. A mastopexy (breast lift) raises droopy breasts from one to several inches and excess skin is removed. If you're sagging or asymmetrical, and are looking for perkiness, you'll need a lift--or, if you also want more volume, a lift and implants.

A breast lift raises droopy breasts from one to several inches and excess skin is removed. If you just want to go bigger, the only way to do that is with implants. The great thing about these techniques is that they can now be down with minimal scarring and performed as an outpatient procedure without the need for general anesthesia. When women with saggy breasts want to go bigger, I usually advise doing a breast lift along with the implants. Otherwise, the implants create what we call a “double bubble,” where the breast droops off the end of the implant like a sock.

It is now possible with the newest technique for you to enlarge your breasts without resorting to implants! Specially prepared fat taken from another part of the body, such as the stomach or hips, is placed under the breast tissue to provide increased breast size without the need for artificial implants. The technique is called autologous fat transfers and autologous simply means "your own." And who doesn't have a little fat to spare?
In short, you must know -- realistically -- what you are starting with, as well as what you want to look like when surgery is done. Do you want a natural appearance or a round, perky look? These are some of the factors I weigh with my patients when evaluating what type of procedure to do.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

TO LIFT OR NOT TO LIFT

+1

To acheive the best result, you would benefit from a Circumvertical lift and Augmentation.  Without an examination and measurements it is difficult to give you an exact cost since it is based on what needs to be done and how long it will take.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

+1

The posted photos demonstrate the need of a full mastopexy with implant. Fee ranges from $6,000 to $10,000 . 

Beast Implant Will Not Correct True Ptosis

+1

When your nipple lies below the inframammary crease (as yours does), an implant alone will not correct the sagging or ptosis.  In fact it could make matters worse.  I think you will be happiest with an augmentation with lift.

John Whitt, MD

Breast Enhancement , with Implants and Lift?

+1

Hello and Thank you for your submission and photos. Yes a Breast Lift and Silicone Implants will give you the best results.  In my community , Breast Augmentation and Lift , average cost is $4,200.00 to $4,500.00 , it depends on the needed technique (Periareolar or Vertical)  (Silicone Implants Included)

Best Wishes

Ricardo Vega, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon