Implants 2-15-91 Lumps and Hard? (photo)

I had silicone implants for breast lift in 1991 since I could not have lift due to no anesthia . i had them place through nipple. I was very slim then. Due to illness I gained 100 pounds but have now lost 70 of it. I have SILICONE (recalled ones) since 2/15/91 I have felt this lump for years but getting huge and noticeable now since lost 70 pounds. The implant is hard. It started 20 years ago shortly after had done. Surgeon did some blood test said fine.in 91 Scared mammogram break them?. I am 57.

Implants 2-15-91 Lumps and Hard?

+2

YOU MUST RULT OUT BREAST CANCER!!! Very foolish to worry if the mammogram would rupture the old silicones. Than obtain an MRI. ASAP. 

Lumps in the breast need proper evaluation

+2

Since you are 57 you should be getting yearly mammograms and breast exams for routine breast cancer screening.  Older silicone implant models such as the ones that were used in 1991 can rupture and cause lumps in the breast.  The best treatment when that happens is to have the implants and scar tissue removed.  Implants do not have to be replaced and I have had some patients get their procedures covered by insurance for this type of a problem.  If you goal is a smaller and lifted breast then a breast lift could be performed at the same time as removal of the implants and scar tissue.  Good luck and get your proper breast screening.

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Lumps after Augmentation over 20 years ago

+2

A lot of time has passed since your breast augmentation. Like any other woman at this age you need to be vigilant about detecting breast cancer. You should at least have a mammogram. I would recommend you to get an MRI. This will show if the implants are ruptured and or if there is a malignancy that also needs evaluation and treatment.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Capsular contracture and or rupture may be the problem that you are having from your 20+ year old implants

+2

As the implants start to age, it can cause capsular contracture ( hardening of the pocket or capsule ) around your breast implants.  This can either cause the implants to rupture or capsular contracture itself may be the result of an implant rupture.  

An MRI or an ultrasound may be helpful in figuring out what is going on.  A surgery that removes the implants and the hardened capsule may be indicated here.  A replacement with a new cohesive silicone gel implants placed under the pectoralis muscle combined with a breast lift may be what is required here.  

I would recommend evaluation by a board certified plastic surgeon and addressing the problems as soon as you can.  While this problem is not an emergency, capsular contracture left alone wiill continue to get worse and cause more inflammation in the breasts.  This will make the ultimate surgery technically more challenging and achieving a good result may be more difficult.

Richard H. Lee, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants Hard after Breast Augmentation and Lifting Surgery Many Years Ago?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures

Based on your history and photographs, I think you will benefit from revisionary breast surgery. Exactly what operation will best help achieve your goals will depend on careful assessment after complete history, physical examination, and a full communication of your goals. At the very least, I think you will benefit from removal of your breast implants and/or mastopexy surgery (breast lifting). Whether or not you have breast implants replaced with depend on your goals in regards to size/shape… Whether or not these operations can be done in a single stage or whether a 2 staged approach would be safer will also need to be determined after careful evaluation.

If you are not at your long-term stable weight, you would be better off reaching as close as possible to this long-term stable weight prior to undergoing breast surgery.

When the time is right, consult with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work.

Hard lumpy and visible implants

+2

indicate capsular contracture.  You should be seen by a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss removal and what your breasts may look like without the implants, and whether you will want a lift or  a reduction.  Do you know if the implants were silicone?  Do you have the original card telling you what they were? If you do, gather it together when you see your plastic surgeon so that you will have as much information as possible to plan what to do.  Good luck

Eleanor J. Barone, MD

Implants 2-15-91--now has lumps.

+2

It appears that you have at least a  capsular contracture. Whatever else there might be needs evaluation.

You might start with your primary physician or a plastic surgeon. Without a doubt some imaging will be recommended. If you decline a mammogram, other possibilities include  MRI or ultrasound, and based upon the results, a plan can be made. I wouldn't take any reassurance from a normal "blood test."

Thanks for your question, best wishes. Don't ignore this problem.