Is It Safe to Have a TT and Breast Implants at the Same Time?

Is it safe to have a tummy tuck, breast lift w/ augmentation during the same surgery day? I am 37 with no health complications, only 2 surgeries to date (a C-section and Sleeve Gastrictomy). I do not suffer from heart disease or high blood pressure. I don't smoke or drink. Thank You

Tummy Tuck & Breast Implant Combination

+1
Yes, for most patients who are in good health, it is possible to perform both these surgeries at the same time: however, a surgeon may prefer to stage the procedures if a patient has a great deal of excess abdominal skin laxity requiring a very extensive tummy tuck. In patient’s with excessive abdominal skin and skin laxity, it may be better to set the abdominal skin tension first and allowing it to heal before performing a breast lift. Waiting for a second surgery insures that the inframammary fold (the lowest point of the breast) will not be pulled into the abdomen creating an obvious scar.

+1

The type of combination surgery you are contemplating is done on a routine basis.  However, whether the combination surgery is indicated and/or safe should be evaluated on an individualized basis.  Factors such health status, physical examination,  goals,  selection of plastic surgeon,  exact procedures planned, estimated blood loss, duration of surgery,  recovery considerations, anesthesia provider, surgery facility are all important  considerations.

Combining surgeries

+1

Yes, it is often safe to combine these two surgeries.  A visit to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will help determine if it is indeed the right choice for you.  Good luck!

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Combined Breast and Tummy Surgery

+1

It is certainly possible, safe, and convenient to have a breast lift/augmentation and tummy tuck together.  This will save you a second trip to the operating room and a second recovery period out of your regular schedule.  However, you will also experience more pain/discomfort over 2 different body regions than if only the belly or the breasts were operated on.  With a longer operation, there is also a theoretical increase in risk for certain complications such as blood clots in the legs and pulmonary embolus.  But we do have state-of-the-art preventive measures to decrease these risks.These 2 operations constitute the "mommy makeover" surgery that has become so popular.

Richard G. Schwartz, MD

Mommy Makeover is Safe

+1

It is done together commonly.  While any procedure can have complications, generally this is considered safe to do together!

Michael Decherd, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast surgery and a tummy tuck may be done safely in one operation - the mommy makeover.

+1

You are basically describing the mommy makeover, which is one of the most common procedures I do.  We tend to perform the breast lift/implants, then liposuction, then the tummy tuck.  The surgery is typically about 4 hours long.

Some surgeons prefer to do this in stages.  However, this means a second operation, which basically doubles the risk of a number of complications, is more expensive, and required more time to recover.

An experienced plastic surgeon with expertise in this field knows how to be efficient with operating time, keep blood loss to a minimum, and use a safe type of anesthesia that allows a quick recovery (we use a total IV anesthetic).  So the answer is yes, if done by an experienced operator in a licensed surgery center or hospital.  You can view plenty of examples on my website if you like (also check the abdominoplasty part of the website and you will see examples of patients who had breast surgery simultaneously).

Usually women hardly notice the breast surgery.  The breast surgery does not prolong the recovery time, so it is nice to take care of the breasts at the same time as the tummy tuck and patients are always glad they did afterward.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Combination Procedure Breast Aug and Tummy Tuck

+1

Performing a breast lift with augmenation at the same time as a tummy tuck is safe and many times one recovery is more convenient and a bit easier for patients.  Given  your stated health history, this is a safe combined procedure for a board certified plastic surgeon to perform in an accredited facility.  Good luck on your mommy makeover!

Christa Clark, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Hello

+1

If you’re going to a certified PS and he feels comfortable doing both procedures together there should not be a problem. If the procedure is being done in a safe environment you should be in great hands. Make sure you do your research before doing it. Good luck

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Combination surgical procedures are possible

+1

Breast cosmetic procedures, including an augmentation with implants, and a tummy tuck are frequently performed in combination. Whether they should be performed together depends on many factors including: a patient's prior medical history, general health, individual anatomy, the extent of the procedure, and anticipated time under anesthesia. The main concern should always be safety.

The best way to determine if this is a realistic and sensible option is to have a consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. If a member of my family was going to undergo this combination of procedures, the plastic surgeon would also be a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover surgery can be safe.

+1

It is very common to combine breast and body contouring procedures together into one single operation. I commonly perform what has been termed a "mommy makeover", combining breast surgery (lift or implants), with tummy tuck, and liposuction. Assuming you are healthy and your surgeon is qualified, this can be a safe and rewarding procedure for you. No two mommy makeovers are exactly the same, as they are customized for your particular body and needs.

Matthew Schulman, MD